PDA

View Full Version : red leather requires extra care?

chevyguy28
04-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post in a LONG time.:o

I`ve ordered red leather in my next car, a convertible. Obviously with the extra sun it`s going to get compared to a closed vehicle, it will need to be conditioned a bit more often. But will it be prone to fading it color or anything like that in the future? No one wants pink leather.

luke667
04-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Sounds like you`ve ordered a bmw....is it? i wouldn`t worry about the leather fading, as it is probably of a top quality, so long as you keep it conditioned and supple then it should be all good

chevyguy28
04-27-2004, 04:55 PM
A tiny little Lotus.

allkingz
04-27-2004, 07:01 PM
I have a 2000 S2000 and have no fading with my red seats. Also, I keep the top up when parked and I use a good leather condition regularly.

jasonatv22
04-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Lotus...hot cha!

Mine gets what you`d expect. I picked my car up after nearly a decade of it being a garage queen of someone else, now it`s a daily driver. The leather was not conditioned well during it`s garage life and was rather paperlike when I got it, so my situation isn`t like yours.

I`ve gotten the vertical surfaces of the seats conditioned fine and they hold up to sun, but really, they get less of it. My driver seat seems fine also, but the passenger seat`s leather is shrinking and it is ripping it`s seams. I think because it gets so much more sun than my side, which is UV protected by my butt.

I am just using Meguiar`s Leather treatment. I haven`t really put the variables together until now, but I think that someing with some UV protection would/will be better.

togwt
04-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Postwood, replace your present UVR protection with 303 Areospace Protectant, I was going to add `get of your butt and replace`....but I won`t ;-) (most leather cleaners/conditioners do not contain UVR protection)

jasonatv22
04-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Togwt, Yes sir, sir!

The damage is done, but getting the UV protection on there is worth it. I`ll consider it the price of renting my old seats until I do something about it.

Honestly, it never occurred to me why the passenger seat was shrinking on me.

SergC
04-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey Justin...

Are you getting Elise on top of Aston;) ...

Serg

chevyguy28
04-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey Serg,

It`s been a long time! Yes, that`s the plan but the car is still quite far away. However, if I go through with it my father and I might share the Aston because we live so close to one another and he has the garage space! :xyxthumbs That`s just as well, because it means we share the cost too. How we decide who gets Saturday night is beyond me.

What are you up to these days?

SergC
04-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Justin,

It`s a great plan :up both cars are going to be a blast ...congrats:xyxthumbs When the Elise is to arrive?

What`s the plan for AMG beast?

I`ve been working horrible hours...people just can`t stay healthy...and for a good news... wife finally ok 996 TT purchase

I still afraid of her (TT of course:D)

Good to hear from you.

BlueRanger
04-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Can we say RED leather? I didnt apply this stuff, the owner did, it was megs 2 step leather cleaner, He didnt buff off, and he missed a few spots, hence the color difference...o well, he was happy with his work. Seats sure are comfy tho...

chevyguy28
04-30-2004, 04:35 PM
That red BMW is a little too much for me!

Serg,

Well, hopefully things will slow down for you in the future so you can enjoy your TT more often! The Elise is slated for September delivery and I will be keeping the AMG for daily driving. I feel pretty lucky.

Keep in touch.