PDA

View Full Version : Rims tough to clean

vaca222
04-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Alright, I have what appears to be flecks of tar (or something!) on my rims, mostly on the 2 front tires. It`s very hard to clean with just soap and a brush, so I`ve even tried De-solv-it (orange based citrus cleaner) and that KINDA worked, but it`s going to take some real elbow grease to get that stuff off.

Does anyone know of a good product or method to remove this stuff?

thanks!!

gentletouch
04-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Acid based wheel cleaner. Mix 4:1 or 5:1 let sit and hose off.

2wheelsx2
04-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Believe it or not, TW Bug and Tar remover works great for me for these types of problems. Once the large lumps are removed, I use clay to remove any residual stuff.

I am not sure acid would work for petroleums. You need probably a base more than anything, so if you are going to try wheel cleaners, try EO A2Z.

EBPcivicsi
04-27-2004, 04:10 PM
3M tar and adhesive remover, wal-mart or any local parts store. Apply to a small applicator and rub lightly, tar will disappear.

phatfarm
04-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Try a metal polish such as eagle one wadding polish, i find that it removes those small black specks that seem to be ingrained in the wheel.

I`ve tried it with mother`s alum polish and another blue metal polish and I find that the eagle one has the best cleaning properties.

If that doesn`t work, you may have to clay your wheels... big PITA

imported_GDA4
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I have used the 3M Tar and bug remover to get the tar off the rims. It has worked great. I hear on another forum that a tile cleaner, KABOOM, works great at cleaning dirty, brake dust imbedded rims. My friend tried it out and he said it works great. I have yet to try it.

They sell it Home Depot.

Matt M, PA
04-29-2004, 03:58 PM
If your wheels are painted or cleared, you`ll want to stay away from any kind of metal polish...and stick with things for painted surfaces.

Bug & Tar may work, but I use clay with good results.

Most factory wheels, and most aftermarket are cleared..unless simply polished.

imported_ajbarnes
04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
I also use clay for really tough stains, etc. on wheels and it works great. It is a pain to use, but trying to get those stains off with something that won`t work that well will be even worse.:eek: Acid base wheel cleaners also work well. Acid base is not something you`ll want to use on a regular basis though.:scared

havabooz
04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
i agree with using clay

i had VERY bad stains from salt+breakdust+water...i ordered the p21s for very dirty wheels..it didnt do anything

i decided to use the claybar after i did my car and it took out almost everything..i was very pleased

METICULOUSMAN
04-29-2004, 08:53 PM
I had a recent problem with the rims on a car. The slots were so small i couldnt even get the clay in to work it. Clay has always worked wonders for me but in the case would an acid base work? It was really just caked on brake dust that laughed at my A-Z.