PDA

View Full Version : Pitted wheels from brake dust......and a few other ?`s...

Namirrem
04-27-2004, 09:06 AM
I`ve been trying to clean up my wheels, but it looks like the brake dust has pitted them. Is there anything special that I can use to remove or clean the small dark spots? I guess it`s from neglect, but I usually try to keep the rims clean. Any ideas? Also, I recently purchased (don`t laugh) some detailing microfiber towels from Costco, and want to know if I can use them without scratching the car (or creating swirl marks). It says that it won`t scratch, and that they`re for polishing/wax removal.....but :nixweiss These have a combination of 80% microfiber, to 20% polyester. They felt better than the 70/30 combo MF towel that I bought from target (that I only use for the interior). I`ve put-off buying real MF towels:o because I didn`t want to wait on an internet purchase to arrive.....might as well have done it, by now.... Thanks for your help!

togwt
04-27-2004, 09:42 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Dependant upon how deep the pitting is I’d clay the wheel surface and then use an appropriate abrasive; you’ll probably need to replace the clear coat and then apply a sealant protection.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

imported_WCD
04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Are the wheels coated, or real aluminum or chrome? If they are bare alum., or chrome, you can use a hydroflouric acid to clean them, but only after you really understand how to use it. The stuff can cause serious health problems.

If coated, try a clearcoat safe cleaner like you`d use on paint. Also, the suggestion of clay as long as you are careful that the clay is very clean and the area doesn`t "grab" any clay and then you have to get into those nooks and crannies to try and remove the broken off pieces.

Please provide a little more info about the wheels.

R Regan

Namirrem
04-28-2004, 08:20 AM
My wheels are the stock alloy wheels. They look like this: http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccpix/62319.jpg , except, they`re somewhat pitted around the inside corner. They look coated on the slots, but not on the outside of the wheel........would that be right?? If I could get those trouble spots, the wheels would look excellent. I had no clue that clay can also be used on wheels, so I`ll try that first. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!!!

Namirrem
04-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Just found this from another site, maybe y`all can make something out of it: Machined=glossy; Full face=painted. Machined with silver vents. I don`t know if that means clear-coated or not.......hope this helps!

togwt
04-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Full face = painted sounds like a clear coat. Try a metal polish on an inconspicuious place if it turns the cloth black its not clear coated