PDA

View Full Version : Detailing process and product recommendation - Please Help!

ZCarGuy
04-26-2004, 02:19 PM
While I am not new to detailing, I am new to some of the products and the process that I am thinking of doing to detail my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have thought about this for a little while, but wanted to hear from all of you about the best way to achieve the shine, depth, and reflection I am looking for. Here goes:

Wash- NXT or other wash

Clay- Meguiars Clay

Compound-Depending on how bad some of the swirls are, maybe a fine cut cleaner (Any recommendations would be great)

Megs DACP

Polish or Glaze

Wax

I want to polish the paint and get most of the imperfectiosn out so I don`t know if I should use a compund then a polish or DACP. What products would you recommend for each step (I want a great shine but don`t have huge amounts of money to spend on products, around $200)

I am going to buy a PC with a pad set. What pads would be recommended for each step such as the cleaning, polishing, and waxing steps.

Thanks alot and here are somepics of my Jeep I want to detail:

(There are alot of paint chips on one side but I may get those painted, bear in mind the Jeep doe shave 157,000 miles on it)

ZCarGuy
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Here is a link for more pictures:

http://web.bentley.edu/students/e/emrich_ryan/jeep.html

andriver
04-26-2004, 02:36 PM
I prefer Einszett products. Check out this package http://www.detailersparadise.com/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductDetail.asp

scottabir
04-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I second the einszett products, especially with only a little bit of cash, they offer ease of use with good results even from a beginner. With the PC and the 1z (einszett) products you should be around your $200 budget, get rid of most blemishes and get a great shine. A great combo would be the PP (should do away with most spiderwebbing/light marring) with the glanz wax, will leave a great depth/shine with a good amount of durability. You can throw a coat of MP in there for fun if you want too for added depth.

Have fun with what ever you choose, and I hope this helps a little.

Scott

jasonatv22
04-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Oh, that`s going to clean up great. Make sure to post pics afterward.

ZCarGuy
04-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys!

Am i going at the process is the correct manner? What specific products should I use for each step? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

-Ryan

shaf
04-26-2004, 11:04 PM
I would not try to categorize products and think about "compound" being separate from something like DACP. Depending on what compound you mean, DACP could be at a similar strength to that.

You just basically use as strong a product as you need to correct whatever imperfections you have to remove (swirls usually). I would get a lighter polish than DACP (a swirl remover for example) and try that first on a patch if you are not quite sure. Then if that doesn`t get you results switch to something stronger like your DACP.

It is also useful to have a lighter polish on hand in case one of the stronger products creates a haze. Likewise, it`s good to have a selection of different pad grades available. After the final polishing move on to glaze and wax, or sealant.

ZCarGuy
04-27-2004, 08:54 AM
OK, I understand now. Thanks.

I will try out a less abrasive polish and then move on to DACP if needed.

I have swirl marks and jsut a few blemishes, not alot of oxidation so maybe something less abrasive than DACP would be good.

Any recommendations?

Also, what polish should I follow up with?

I am thinking of using NXT wax for the final protection but maybe there is somethign better to use?

I know these are general questions but my main concerns is what products to use?

THANKS!

-Ryan

jasonatv22
04-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Really, for the first weekend, I`d just wash, clay, and wax.

That will let you know how it looks in it`s current state better. Then, after some thought, decide what you need to do next.

I think NXt would be great on your car. Or, if you want, a carnauba. But you probably want the longevity of the NXT.

ZCarGuy
04-27-2004, 09:12 AM
That sounds like a good idea. I may want to polish it too to remove some of the swirls and light scratches.

What would be a nice polish with light cleaning abrasives that will also polish the paint and make it look alot nicer?

Then I will follow with NXT.

I really appreciate all of the help!

-Ryan

togwt
04-27-2004, 10:01 AM
If you do go with #83 DACP you should follow with #2 Fine Cut Cleaner and then #9 SMR.

Following 4DSC`s suggestion you may find something like Megs ColorX is all you need (without seeing the roof /hood/trunk panels its difficult to tell how serious the surface imperfections are) from the side panle photo ColorX or something similar may do just fine

~Hope this helps~

ZCarGuy
04-27-2004, 10:17 AM
So would I need to do something liek Megs Fine-cut cleaner and then swirl remover then a polish and wax? Or is there something that woudl take care of some of the swirls that isnt too abrasive?

Hood shot, somewhat hard to read the surface condition though:

ZCarGuy
04-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Any suggestions? Sorry I want to try adn get the products ordered by later today so I can have them by the weekend.

I really just need to know what products to use for cleaning/polishing?

I guess Megs Fine Cut Cleaner OR #9

Then do I have to follow up with another less abrasive polish, etc?

Then I will top with NXT.

jasonatv22
04-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Dang, your Jeep is in great shape.

Just use gentle stuff. I think the product discussion forum has the abrasiveness scale of products in it. It probably slipped to the second or third page by now as it was last week.

That hood looks great.

shaf
04-30-2004, 02:11 AM
Don`t get #2 Fine Cut or #9, get #2 AND #9.

#9 is pretty mild stuff, and if you try that out on a section first (like you should) and it`s not doing it, you want to have the stronger #2 available, or you`re stuck.

#9 won`t need anything to follow it up, but #2 might, depending on how you use it.