PDA

View Full Version : Scarthes & Light Hazing after using DACP with Orange pad on 2002 Black VW

HeavyChevyBoy
04-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have posted my problems before but I did not get any reply so I am posting it again. I got about 70 people who viewed it though.

Posted on 4-19-04

I need some advice on taking out scratches on a 2002 Black VW. It seems that the paint or Clear coat is pretty hard. I tried using DACP and all the passes I can think of using my PC (with orange pad) speed dial at 3500 rpm and nothing happens. I also introduced some some hazing on the hood and few swirl marks. I worked the DACP until it`s powdery too. Then I followed up with AIO, SG, then NXT. The car looks great but like I said I added more swirls, micro scratches and a few hazing on the hood. Any suggestion on how to improve my work? Also, this car have a new 18 inch Roja wheels with stainless steel dip dish style walls. How can I take out the brake dust and some oxidation on the stainless steel rims? I tried Mother`s metal polished and it help a bit but could not take out the problems especially the little

scratches.

4-25-04

Now, that my friend brought back the VW and it got rained on I saw all the swirls I created and since the wax was gone the car looks dull because of all the scratches or hazing I created with the DACP/ PC using the orange pad. Any suggestion how I can take out the hazing? Scratches? I have some Meguire`s #9 in hand, Scratch X, AIO.

Thanks,

Ricky

Simplistic
04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
follow the DACP up with #9 and see if things improve. DACP will sometimes introduce new swirls which #9/#82 should be able to remove. i know what you mean though, i`ve got some spots on my hood that are perfect but some areas where there is minor swirling and NOTHING get them out. i love my V-Dub tho

breakneckvtec
04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
If your using a PC DA polisher and not a rotary by 3500 I assume you used speed 3.5 on the dial? If so bump that up, its too slow to break down the abrasives in DACP. I usually apply DACP on no lower than 5.5 and usually at 6.

HeavyChevyBoy
04-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Aight guys I`ll try out your suggestion. The reason I was going slow on the PC because I read somewhere here that you have to work the DACP slow until it turned powdery or dry out. Or maybe, I read wrong. Maybe, it`s the Klasse SG that you need to work slow around 2 or 1 rpm on the PC dial. Thanks a lot.

breakneckvtec
04-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Yeah, you definitely dont want/need to work DACP at that low a speed. In fact for the abrasives to really break down with DACP you need to crank it up. I usually work it until it becomes clear and almost invisible, just before it begins to dust, then wipe off the residue. If your using a cutting pad be prepared to follow up with something milder as DACP more than always leaves a light haze in my experience with it. I like to follow it up with SSR2 or SSR1 then VM and my wax or sealant. :xyxthumbs

Mike_Phillips
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi ricky,

A couple of things,

1) Like mentioned above, you need to run the PC on about the 5.0 setting, move the PC slowly, not like a wild detailer, and push down on the head of the PC with about 5-7 lbs of pressure.

Work the product until it`s almost dry but not quite.

I don`t have any experience with the orange foam pad, do you have a part number? (I may have one, just haven`t used it yet). But here`s one thing, the PC is limited to what it can remove as far as defects go. When you try to become to aggressive with it, it`s possible to dull your finish down. This dulling effect can vary between paint types and be more noticeable on darker colors.

The only reason I point this out is because of the pad you`re using. It could be part of the problem, like I said above, I don`t know though because I`ve never used it before.

If turning the speed up doesn`t help, you might want to consider picking up a W-8006 foam pad and try rebuffing the same area to see if the problem goes away. This would be the easiest and d fastest way to trouble-shoot the problem.

As someone else mentioned, you may have to try some #82 or #9 after the #83.

Hope this helps...

Mike

p.s.

I have a picture on my hard drive in which I captured the dulling-effect on a 1965 Corvette Roadster witha bc/cc paint system. I had to rebuff the area with a rotary to restore optical clarity.

Mike_Phillips
04-26-2004, 03:36 PM
One more thing,

I run across this in our classes every Saturday... after you have done the work, i.e. cleaning step at a high speed, when it comes to applying your polish or wax you can and should slow your speed setting down as now you`re only trying to apply a thin, even, well-worked in coating, not remove defects.

Mike

breakneckvtec
04-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Or do the protection step by hand, I have never been a huge fan of doing this with a PC as the small areas need to be done by hand anyway. In the end, its more time consuming for me, I use the PC for defect removal mainly.

HeavyChevyBoy
04-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi Mike,

Here is the part # for the orange pad I was using. I bought it as a kit from David B. (Autopia) LCM-76-2165VC Orange cutting pad supposed to take of 2000 grit sandpaper scratches or something. I will try and was the car over the weekend and will try to experiment with all the suggestions I received. I hope it`ll take care of some of the hazing I created. Iam just upset that I might have dulled my friends paint. Since, it`s looking that way now that it`s dirty. I hope things will get better over the weeknd.

Thanks.

Mike_Phillips
04-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi Ricky,

The pad may be the culprit then. As I have posted multiple times on the subject, the PC is limited in what it can do and often times when you try to become more aggressive with it, while you may be able to remove a defect, you will tend to dull the surface down.

If I were you, I would get my hands on a W-8006 foam polishing pad, (not a cutting pad), and try to re-polish again.

In some cases, you may have to re-polish with a rotary buffer to remove the haze and restore the gloss and clarity.

I know I have had to do this before.

Mike

Jesstzn
04-27-2004, 02:16 PM
ricky .. I have a black 03 VW and I used a yellow pad and DACP and did experience the micro marring that you did. I feel it was my pad. It might have been a little harsh. What I did was redo it with DACP on a white pad then followed it with Menzerna FP. And the micromarring is gone.. And yes the VW clear is hard .. just like the Audi clear. Use the speeds suggested.

HeavyChevyBoy
04-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Guys,

I did use the same orange pad and dacp on my silver Subaru and did not notice any micro maring or hazing at all. But, I guess, black color just shows all the imperfections when it`s clean. I will try all the suggestions and will order the yellow pad. Now, I have a new problem with the same car. I my friends VW Wednesday to pick my 5 yr old. Since, the wife is using the Subie and it`s our only car. My daughter requested a Happy Meal from McD`s and as we were pulling out of the lot this lady rear ended my friends brand new installed rear bumper. Damn! I`ve been already eyeing her since picking up the food on the window. She was to close to my rear bumper. I`d move a bit forward and she`ll follow me right away. So, getting out of the lot she`s at it again and while I was making a right turn I stop since there were traffic coming from where I wanted to turn. I looked at my rear view mirrow and there she is looking the other way with her vehicle moving. Wham! She said that she was sorry but I told her that if it`s my car it`s fine. But it`s not. I took her Lic#, insurance, phone and address and I gave her mine. After that she told me that it`s just a scratch. I told her that it`s not my car and the bumper is very,very brand new and I would like my friend to get his car back brand new. To make the story short, she gave me a bogus phone #, insurance was cut-off since she have not made any payment sinc Feb. So, I went and got a police report. The bumper have a very noticeable haze and a 2 inch deep scratch. Any, idea how I can remove it if my friend decide not to go on with the claim?

Thanks