PDA

View Full Version : Swirl/smear question

randy98mtu
04-26-2004, 08:11 AM
So about 2 weekends ago I went over my whole car with my new PC using IP, struggled early and was running out of time with the FP so I skipped it and just went straight to AIO and SG. Over the next 2 days I got 2 more coats of SG on her. She looked really good. Still some scratches that are a bit too deep to remove, but no spiderwebs or swirls that I could see. Well, last week I see swirls like this shot I took last year:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/13731swirls.jpg

After I washed the car this weekend I looked closer. They are so fine when I wipe my finger on them they nearly vanish. This led me to believe they were more smudges than anything. Anyways, I threw a coat of P21S over the whole car and they are nearly gone again, reinforcing that they are smudges. I have an assortment of MF`s and a few WW`s for drying. I wash using a small amount of Tide and usually don`t dry, though I have on a few occasions. No fabric softener and use low heat when I do dry them. I don`t have a good place to wash, so I am forced to use the coin wash. What I normally do is bring my sheepskin mit and while there is still time on the machine after soaking the car, I go around the car with the wand in one hand, wipe a bit, then rinse with the wand. I figure it`s the best I can do.

So any tips to eliminate the need to QD after every wash? Do these marks look like swirls or smudges/smears? They aren`t as bad as in that shot, but they are there only in direct sunlight. Thanks for any pointers.

Edit: :o I just posted this without reading at all, then saw this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36648) which sounds like it may be my issue. Still I`d like to hear advice on how to avoid getting these marks as I seem to always get them. :(

Buick_guy
04-26-2004, 08:16 AM
I don`t know, that looks like its very light swirls. With the IP you are supposed to go over if with fine polish, just go get whatever haze, ect. is still on the paint. It will leave micro marring.

**GOD I LEARNED ALOT ALREADY!**

Accumulator
04-26-2004, 09:58 AM
randy98mtu- If you can "remove"/reduce the stuff in question by rubbing with your finger, then yeah, it sounds like a product-smear issue as opposed to marring. Not sure why you`re getting it though, I use SG on my WRX and I don`t get that. Maybe there`s some residue from the water at the place where you wash, or maybe you aren`t getting the car really *clean* enough :nixweiss

If they continue to bug you, I`d redo the car with AIO, check for the problem. If OK, apply a layer of SG, check for problem. Wait until the next wash- wash, check. If OK, apply more SG, always trying to determine *when* the problem becomes noticeable.

imported_memnuts
04-26-2004, 10:11 AM
A good shampoo that completely eliminates the need to QD after a wash is 1Z Perls. Perls is like a wash that QD`d at the same time. Wonderful product.

1Z also makes a product called LackFinish that is a spray before you dry item that also eliminates the post drying QD step. :xyxthumbs

randy98mtu
04-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I`ll keep a close eye on them and see if I can get some better pics next time I see them. If all else fails I`ll look into the LackFinish. Since I have to use the coin wash, this may be the best solution for me.

I`m planning to move next year, so hopefully I`ll be able to wash a car all proper like then. :)

shaf
04-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Once in a while sometimes people come up with problems with Klasse SG. In the old days "Klasse haze" was a problem occasionally. Do a search for this if you want, but it sounds like what you have, and no definitive solution (or catch-all solution for all the variations of this problem) were discovered.

All you can do is try to wait it out or buff with some water mist (what I use in normal buffing), but you may very well have to start over with AIO again. Try to be careful also that you buff it off thoroughly before applying the next layer. Good luck.