PDA

View Full Version : New one on me...

titus
04-25-2004, 01:42 AM
My headlamp covers are peeling! :( Looks something like maybe a clear coat that is slowly coming off, top to bottom, down the Lexan. I can`t peel it with a fingernail but it does catch a fingernail. Tried alcohol and paint thinner (to see if it was possibly a `Zaino coat` type thing) but no joy. The lamp covers have been Plexus`d regularly. You don`t suppose the factory clearcoated these? The peeling started at the top (where the strongest weathering is). Nah!

Anybody have any suggestions, or is it `get-the-Novus` time?

Scottwax
04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
New to me too. How old is your car? If it is pretty new, something like that should be covered under the warranty.

LightngSVT
04-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Headlamps are "hatd coated" and thats probably whats peeling. How do I know? My wife is a Program Manager / Engineer for a lighting supplier. Id ask her to explain further, but shes in Italy right now. I wowuld expect your lenses to start yellowing or hazing where its peeled.

wash-girl
04-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I`ve seen that before, both on my girlfriend`s Toyota and my neighbor`s Lincoln. I never could figure out what caused it. My guess is that the headlights were never protected with any wax or UV protectant.

Purely for looks, I was able (with a lot of elbow grease) to "remove" the remaining layer of clearcoat or whatever it is. I used the scrub side of a non-scratch (blue) Scotch-brite sponge and some Kit plastic polish followed by a little DACP (which would probably have done the trick by itself). I then protected it with some Liquid Glass and it looked fine. The lights now get a coat of whatever wax is going on, whenever I detail them.

It probably wasn`t the best idea to remove that layer, but it beat the hell out of buying new light enclosures, and it looks a lot better now.