PDA

View Full Version : not sure if i got worked or not....

Michaelwdes
04-25-2004, 12:20 AM
well i hadnt detailed my car for a long time (over 2 months) and I had a impromptu car show to attend today. So i spoke with a local San Diego auto body shop that had done great work on my car already. they reccommended "x" mobile detailer. So i spent $100 for a decent ext. only job. But i guess having you guys/gals here to point me in the right direction i am not overal satisifed with the detail. there was no dressing of the rubber sills around the window, just the tires, and mudflaps. He gave me the speil about teflon this and teflon that and 200$ job, but ima only gonna charge you $100 etc. etc. how my swirls were in the paint, not the clear coat, RO`s are bad, but proceeded to lightly with a blk foam pad buff my car. then told me about the clay should be spot used, not the entire car.

so in the end i had to point out several spots on the car that had left over wax residue, brake dust still on the rims, the inside of the rims not clean etc.

but some swirls and spiderwebbing are indeed gone, and the blu is a deeper blu. i had told him i wanted the best job doen on the ext. not just some glaze applied to hide the sh*t. :nono

so how can i tell if he really did a good job? dawn wash and have a look-see? and honestly do i even wanting him to touch my car again to fix any issues?:sosad

Im gonna have to break down and get a PC this spring!!!

Oh, he asked what i had done to my car, so i told him the

dawn wash

clay bar

rewash

polish

glaze

wax

he was like thats a lot of work for little results in general....lolol

i guess i just thought that it would come out better than i could have done on my own......the teflon sure does make the ca smooth though......

shaf
04-26-2004, 02:37 AM
Ugh.... it doesn`t sound good.

1) "Teflon this and Teflon that"

2) "$200 job, but I`m only going to charge you $100"

Smacks more of a slimy salesman than a good detailer if you ask me!

If you really want to check his work out, strip a portion of the paint with an IPA (alcohol) solution and check in good lighting. Try searching for doing this. I`m pretty sure there are some threads kicking around that will tell you better than I can...

dgraupman
04-26-2004, 06:41 AM
For all the anxiety you had about someone else touching your car, that $100 would`ve been better spent towards your own PC. Quit thinkin about it and get one. No one`s gonna do as good of a job on your car as you are.

Michaelwdes
04-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by dgraupman

For all the anxiety you had about someone else touching your car, that $100 would`ve been better spent towards your own PC.

not a more accurate statement period.

JustinR32
04-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Dawn is for dishes.

Otherwise, if you`re not sure, then you were worked. I think that anyone who talks that much about what he is going to do should be watched.

Tom

jasonatv22
04-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Ignorance is bliss, and you aren`t ignorant anymore. You`d be clam happy if you believed all the crap that dude was spewing.

I say don`t look back. It`s in the past. And never let anyone else touch your car.

trueblueblood
04-26-2004, 11:03 AM
When anyone runs a line about teflon you see smoke going the other way with me :eek: Sounds like a novice detailer posing as a pro. Yeah I would just do the alcohol wipe down or wash with P21S Auto wash that will break down old wax, glaze, practically everything, but avoid the Dawn:eek: Also only claying in certain spots yeah some are worse than others but that is horrible, does he give refunds!:D