PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Buy PC but confused

tkajeff
04-24-2004, 03:46 PM
I am ready to order my first PC. I have been reading a lot of infomation from both this site and others. There seems to be quite a bit of disparity when it comes to backing plates and model numbers. For example, the kit autopia.orghttp://autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424-kit.html sells comes with a 5" counterweight, but I read an article on The Classic Motoring Accessories message board by Steve @gurureports, that said since most buffing pads are 6" in diameter then a PC should have a 6" counterweight. Since I have never used a PC before have no idea which direction to go in. I found this kit from

http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html, would this be a good start-up kit to purchase? Any help would be appreciated.

Simplistic
04-24-2004, 03:50 PM
tkajeff, i bought the PC model 7336 and it comes with the 6" counterweight. i`d say it`s definitely a must. ther`es a kit availalbe from autopia that comes with the 6" weight.

i have 3 cutting pads (yellow) and 3 polishing pads (white)

tkajeff
04-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Simplistic

Where did you buy your PC from if you do not mind me asking?

Thank you for the info.

SpoiledMan
04-24-2004, 10:46 PM
If you don`t mind, I got my PC kit from www.detailersparadise.com. It came with the backing plate, 3 pads, 1Z polishes and the case to keep it all in. The 1Z polishes also come with the little 2oz. bottles that you can throw in the case with the PC for a decent little portable detail kit.

shaf
04-26-2004, 02:14 AM
I would definitely buy a 7336 model to get the 6" counterweight, and then pair that up with a 5" backing plate personally. That combo should give you the fewest vibes.

Simplistic
04-26-2004, 11:05 AM
i got my model from www.carcaresmart.com, it`s a CANADIAN only website

for US people I believe www.coastaltool.com (tools?) is one of the best places. autopia also offers a great package. prices are quite similar once you throw in everything. if I lived in the US i would probably buy the autopia package just to support david.

Kleanride
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I got mine from Coastaltool with the bonus kit that includes the backing plate and the 6" counterweight (as well as the 5"). Then I just ordered pads from CMA.

HIGHLY recommend both/either vendor.

LouisanaJeeper
04-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Dale DeSteno

I got mine from Coastaltool with the bonus kit that includes the backing plate and the 6" counterweight (as well as the 5"). Then I just ordered pads from CMA.

HIGHLY recommend both/either vendor.

same combo here!

TN9thSi
04-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I`ve used my 7336 with the 6" counter-weight and 5" hook & loop backing plate several times. I have no harsh vibrations, it runs pretty smoothly. I`m sure you`d be happy with the same combo.

tkajeff
04-27-2004, 10:20 AM
I appreciate everyone’s comments. I ordered a PC from http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabpolpac.html,. They were offering a rebate, and it comes with a Velcro backing plate, some pads, and carpet scrubber attachment. I hope it comes in by Friday so I can try it out over the weekend.

imported_Interspy24
04-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey all,

I`m also in the same boat about buying a pc. I think I`m going to buy the 7336 from lowe`s though, it`s only $102. What else will I need, a backing plate right? What size? Where could I order this from at the best price? I can get pads from a local paint shop. Thanks and take care.

Vik

superstring
04-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry for being dense, but what is the "counterweight" on a PC?

Kleanride
04-27-2004, 12:38 PM
It is a little 2" semi circle piece that is behind the backing plate...it comes out with a torx(sp) screwdriver. They have a 5" one for 5" pads or a 6" one for 6" pads (or bigger, I believe)

superstring
04-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks, Dale, I`d never noticed that before.

Originally posted by Dale DeSteno

It is a little 2" semi circle piece that is behind the backing plate...it comes out with a torx(sp) screwdriver. They have a 5" one for 5" pads or a 6" one for 6" pads (or bigger, I believe)