PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Product Claims - outrageous sometimes

Pages : [1] 2 3

myall00
04-24-2004, 04:13 AM
I have been a loyal Meguairs fan for a long time and have used their products on my immaculate Ferrari Red 2-pack paintwork. However, I noticed that Meguairs often use very strong words in their literature that has a tendency to over-promise.

From my experience, I noticed 3 overhyped Meguiars products:

1. Endurance Tire Gel.

In short, this product lasts longer than the other cheapies, but the glossy effect is 100% gone after just 1 drive in the rain. I have experienced this repeatedly and therefore, stopped using this expensive product. The term "lasts for weeks" is very misleading. Maybe Meguiars is saying that after weeks, the product is still chemically present on the sidewall. In reality, the glossiness would have been gone a long time ago. I have switched to Eagle ONe`s Tire Gel and it`s so much better. However, I don`t know the long term effects of its high solvent content.

2. Gold Class.

What a load of bxxx !

This product produced a slightly more reflective surface but the water-beading ability is very poor. Even worse, the water beading stopped after a few washes. A premium-priced product that is simply not durable.

3. NXT.

Meguiar wants to tango with the synthetic kings such as Klasse, Finish First, Zaino etc, and I feel they have failed. The difference in gloss is nothing to shout about and it is expensive. Many other products could have produced the same level of paint smoothness. Created some smearing also. Totally disappointed with the product. I have a feeling Meguiars merely took either their Medallion or Gold Class and modified it.

Currently, I am sticking to my regiment of the following:

1. Meguiars Clay Bar (the quality is not consistent. Some clay bars are prone to leaving behind smudges, while others seem OK).

2. 1 layer Meguiars Cleaner

3. 4 layers Meguairs No 7 Glaze.

4. Meguiars QD

5. 1 layer S100 Carnauba Wax. Wait 12 hours. QD.

6. Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (this product produces a super slick effect as a finishing touch). Makes S100-prepped surfaces even glossier!

Rgds.

JustinR32
04-24-2004, 06:18 AM
:welcome to Autopia!

A couple comments:

2. Gold Class.

What a load of bxxx !

This product produced a slightly more reflective surface but the water-beading ability is very poor. Even worse, the water beading stopped after a few washes. A premium-priced product that is simply not durable.

Gold Class is formulated to sheet water rather than bead water. In this case, you can`t use beading as an indication of durability. It still might not be very long-lasting, but the water sheeting isn`t the indicator.

I like the NXT; I got great results. Not everyone has, though. And, although I got great results, there ARE products I prefer; I prefer Meg`s #26,actually. The only thing I would question in your analysis is your statement that it is expensive; at $15? C`mon, how much is Klasse, or Zaino? (Don`t forget to add shipping charges when calculating your total.)

I haven`t been pleased with ANY tire dressing I`ve tried. All seem to have shortcomings in one area or another.

Curious, why do you apply the QD inbetween the #7 and the wax? #7 is mostly oils and fillers. I would think that using any cleaner at that stage would only remove some #7. Your result obviously stands for itself; the car doesn`t know how you made it happen, it only knows that it shines! I`m just curious why you do that, the reasoning, and how it looks before that step and after.

Tom

imported_Terry
04-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Tom made some very good points.......I too agree that NXT is a very good product for the price.......Thanks to some suggestions from veterans on this board, I just used Meg`s # 16 pro paste.......No hype there.......just great results :up Terry

imported_memnuts
04-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Paraphasing MikeP: Find a product / process that works for you and use it. :D

imported_Aurora40
04-24-2004, 09:34 AM
It`s interesting you are only mentioning Meguiar`s consumer line of products. I think it is understandable that they use a bit more "marketing" with them than they do with their pro line.

I think just about any product line has examples where the claims don`t quite live up to the performance.

Does Gold Class actually say on the package that it will bead water? I recently gave my bottle to a friend, so I can`t go check it. The website description doesn`t mention it. It can`t really be an outrageous claim if they never claimed it. ;)

JoshABI
04-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Endurance Tire Gel 16 oz bottle - $5.99

Gold Class Wax 16 oz bottle - $9.99

NXT Wax 18 oz bottle - $14.99

None of these are what I would call "premium" prices. I certainly think they are reasonable...especially when I can get all of them at my local stores.

imported_Blake
04-24-2004, 10:01 AM
I too don`t have the praise for Gold Class but then again I`ve tried numerous other products that I haven`t found all that wonderful. I do however like NXT and for a $15.00 product I do think it beats the competition but that is only my opinion.

I find it interesting that you are using a resin product over a carnauba. Seems a$$ backwards to how most members on this board apply carnauba toppers over the resin based products.

Needless to say if it works for you and you`re pleased with it then it`s great.

I think most members will acknowledge that claims are sometimes too much hype. Meguiar`s makes some very good products.

I was just on a 2400 mile trip and my tires had #40 on them and they came through warm temps, dusty roads and heavy rains still looking very good.

Jesstzn
04-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Mosca

:welcome to Autopia!

A couple comments:

Gold Class is formulated to sheet water rather than bead water. In this case, you can`t use beading as an indication of durability. It still might not be very long-lasting, but the water sheeting isn`t the indicator.

I like the NXT; I got great results. Not everyone has, though. And, although I got great results, there ARE products I prefer; I prefer Meg`s #26,actually. The only thing I would question in your analysis is your statement that it is expensive; at $15? C`mon, how much is Klasse, or Zaino? (Don`t forget to add shipping charges when calculating your total.)

I haven`t been pleased with ANY tire dressing I`ve tried. All seem to have shortcomings in one area or another.

Tom

Ditto here to Toms posting.. to the word.

I tried Gold Class on my black car .. didn`t like it .. BUT it was/is great on my sisters copper Mirano .. some are just better in certain places..

Bill D
04-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by myall00

1. Endurance Tire Gel.

In short, this product lasts longer than the other cheapies, but the glossy effect is 100% gone after just 1 drive in the rain. I have experienced this repeatedly and therefore, stopped using this expensive product. The term "lasts for weeks" is very misleading. Maybe Meguiars is saying that after weeks, the product is still chemically present on the sidewall. In reality, the glossiness would have been gone a long time ago. I have switched to Eagle ONe`s Tire Gel and it`s so much better. However, I don`t know the long term effects of its high solvent content.

I couldn`t agree more, I recall in 1997-98 how eager I was to get my hands on Endurance, and got the same dismall results. It`s such a mess to store too, goo all over, yuck :down. :mad: I think their claim its lasts for weeks refers to on tires on a car that sits in garage never driven in bad weather

I tried aerosols next, got same the results plus sling on my paint :down :angry . Then I used products like Armor All, Vinylex and now 303 and I`m satisified :up

Scottwax
04-24-2004, 10:51 AM
I`m not a huge Endurance fan, mostly because gels tend to build up and problems with dust attraction on windy days. I had no problems with it maintaining a satin sheen for a long time though.

Gold Class has a very nice look but it isn`t very durable and dusts up too much.

NXT? I really like it. I have been getting consistantly good results with little effort.

Does Meguiars hype their products? Of course, they want you to buy them. Are some oversold a bit? Sure but Meguiars is not alone in this. Go to an auto parts store and look at all the detailing products claiming to be the best. They sure can`t all be.

When Meguiars Body Shop Professional line was rolled out, it was heavily hyped to me by my local pro distributer. IMO, he didn`t hype it enough! I get very consistant, excellent results with the BSP line. The Mirror Glaze line is also quite good.

What is funny is that a product like Meguiars #16 is not hyped by them, but accurately hyped by members of this board.

Bill D
04-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Heh heh, I`m sure many of us Autopians would want the parameters of product claims of car care items to be as stringent as they are with health and beauty aids,medicine, foods,etc. ;)

jasonatv22
04-24-2004, 02:40 PM
http://www.petsignsplus.com/1fantasyxgif/troll.gif

JustinR32
04-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Postwood

http://www.petsignsplus.com/1fantasyxgif/troll.gif

I thought so, too, but, benefit of the doubt.

Tom

III
04-24-2004, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mosca

[B]:welcome to Autopia!

A couple comments:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just going to post the same response. Mosca is correct. The first time I used gold class after the first wash there was no beading either, I thought what`s going on here. Well, after asking around I found out why.

imported_NHBFAN
04-24-2004, 04:23 PM
The only product that isn`t over hyped is NuFinish.

It really does make junkyard cars look brand new:xyxthumbs I swear by it. It`s the only car finish product I carry in my truck;)