PDA

View Full Version : multi layers of SG or P21S topper?

imported_Yosemite Dan
04-23-2004, 10:59 PM
OK I`m just about ready to do my spring detail on my 1 year old silver Mazda 6. I`ll be using Klasse AIO and 1 layer of SG. Now this is where I`m at a crossroads. Do I continue with an extra layer of SG or top with a carnuaba (P21s). Do 2 layers of SG come close to achieving the deep shine and wet look of P21s?

I want ultimate protection for my car so I would be reapplying SG every 3 months, (I prefer to have a sealant under any carnuaba) that`s why I really don`t want to use carnuaba as I would have to start over again with AIO just to get a new layer of SG (then carnuaba on top of that) because it shouldn`t be applied on top of carnuaba. I really don`t have the time for that and I don`t want to use AIO more than once a year on my car even if it`s only mildly abrasive.

So is SG every 3 months good enough with Sonus applied after every wash or is it worth the extra time and trouble to apply P21s as a topper and start from scratch every 3 months. :sosad

6cyl's_of_fury
04-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Well personally ( but not at the moment ) I run with 2 or 3 layers of SG, then top with S100, and continue to reapply the S100 every 4 weeks. I wash it weekly and give it a once over with Sonus every 2 weeks. That *should* last you a full 6 months before starting all over again. Simple and looks great while proving brilliant protection IMO.

BillNorth
04-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Dan,

I think you`ll be happy with the look of SG on its own on your silver paint. I don`t top my silver car with carnuba. For the most part, SG looks great without a topper. Only some colours require a topper IMHO. I`d try it first with just the SG. I think you`ll like it. I sure do.

Bill.

imported_Yosemite Dan
04-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Bill, do you get that wet look with SG? I`m interested more in that than a really deep shine as you can only do so much with silver. Do you use Sonus as a QD?

Accumulator
04-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Yosemite Dan- It seems that many silvers are *very* different, looks-wise. One of our vehicles is a silver `02 Mazda. I always get at least four layers of SG on it before topping. It looks better after about three layers. Actually, I don`t bother topping it anymore, but I *will* say that when I did (I used Meg`s #16, which looks similar to P21S), it looked noticeably better.

I`ve used Sonus and BF as QDs and both work well over KSG.

BillNorth
04-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Dan, I don`t know if I would call it a wet look. It looks more like glass, but it does do the paint justice. It`s hard to explain. You`ll need to see it for yourself to understand what I mean.

Bill. :up

imported_Malachi
04-24-2004, 02:28 PM
I like to put 3 layers of SG on. For whatever reason I don`t see much of a change between 1 and 2 coats but, I do notice a difference between 2 and 3.

When I do top with S100, it darkens the color and really looks nice.

shaf
04-26-2004, 01:21 AM
As long as you`re sure that your finish can`t be further improved by polishing, I think your idea of just using SG and reapplying it ever so often is okay. The first time, I would do 2 or 3 coats though.