PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to clay?

Roverhater
04-23-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a 04 dark gray car. I just purchased Einszett Mettalic Polish and Wax. On the Einzett site it says it is excellent for newer cars and getting off contaminates. So I am wondering if I can just skip the clay stage since it appears that the polish will do the job. I will still wash with dawn to get off the old coats od wax.

I appreciate any help in this matter.

Buick_guy
04-23-2004, 10:41 AM
I would think it would depend on the amount of KM, or miles. I would do it anyways, just to make sure you treat your new car with respect right from the begining

2wheelsx2
04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
No....polish will not "pluck" out rail dust and other contaminants which are embedded in the paint. Have a look at DavidB`s articles and the eBook to see why. Polish levels paint, so it will leave parts of the contaminants embedded in the clear. If it`s rail dust, it`ll bloom to form rust spots. Don`t ask me how I know, since I have a WHITE car.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-23-2004, 10:54 AM
By all means, dont skip this simplistic step, its worth the 1/2 hr....It also allows for a much evener bond between sealant and cc.....

Roverhater
04-23-2004, 10:56 AM
It was easy to clay my silver car. Im just a little hesitant about claying a very dark car. Just use a lot of lube I guess. I am going to go the soap and water lube vinstead of the QD.

2wheelsx2
04-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Don`t worry, if you use the soap and water route, you can`t go wrong. After all, you won`t have to worry about wasting lube, so you can use as much as you want! :) Just make sure you are checking and kneading the clay (if that`s the method you use) to keep a clean surface on the paint.

fusionnv
04-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Roverhater

It was easy to clay my silver car. Im just a little hesitant about claying a very dark car. Just use a lot of lube I guess. I am going to go the soap and water lube vinstead of the QD.

Whats the proportion to soap to water?

Accumulator
04-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by fusionnv

Whats the proportion to soap to water?

Plenty of people just use their regular wash solution dilution. I mix up some a little stronger than normal and keep it in a spray bottle. You don`t need to worry about exact strengths.

jfelbab
04-25-2004, 12:36 PM
My clay deteriorates much more quickly when I use wash water. Since I think QD is a better lubricant and it is really cheap, I continue to use QD.