PDA

View Full Version : Curing vs. Re-coating

maecrispy
04-23-2004, 08:37 AM
newbie question...

Is there usually a significant difference in the time you should allow between layering multiple coats vs. the time you should allow for curing?

I`m asking specifically about Wolfgang. From searching threads, many recommend putting on multiple coats of WG. However, responses are all over the place as far as time between coats. Some say WG can be re-coated as soon as you`ve buffed off the last coat, some say wait 24 hours.

As for curing, most agree that you give 24 hours for most sealants.

So, does WG have to fully cure before applying the 2nd coat? Or can I apply 3 coats right away (as I plan to do) and *then* wait 24 hours for curing?

Confused (but excited to start working with WG.)

SuperShine
04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
I tried it both ways and got much better results with the 18-24 hours cure time. It`s worth the wait. Not much visible difference doing them immediately.

togwt
04-23-2004, 09:39 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Adherence- the application of a thin even film of product to the paint film surface bonds by surface tension

Drying- the primary catalyst is an aerobic process so sufficient drying time should be allowed. This will vary in accordance with the temperature and humidity of the ambient air.

Removal- remove product residue by buffing, using a clean dry cloth and a light even pressure

Cross-linking – allow sufficient time (anything from 12 to 72 hours dependant upon product formulation) to elapse to enable product to cross-link before the application of further layers or other products. Avoid rain or washing vehicle until filly cured.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

maecrispy
04-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks to the both of you.

Based on your advice, I waited the 24 hours before putting on the second WG sealant coat.

Definitely worth the wait. I really didn`t think I`d notice a difference between the first and second coat but I was wrong.

2nd coat definitely added more gloss. I think it added more slickness but that may just be me being excited about how nice it looked. :)