PDA

View Full Version : Light VS Dark Paints.. DIFFERENT RESULTS??

imported_FireWalker
04-22-2004, 10:41 PM
I posted this message on another forum with little response.

But I think paint color is one of the most important criteria for product and application methods selections. Here`s the post:

I read a lot of detailing advice on here ( waxing, polishing, product selection, methods etc.) without reference to color of the paint.

I think some products and methods would be more effective and work better on light colors and others would be better for dark colors.

Have any of you tried products and methods that worked well for someone else, but not for you because of different color paint?

I have a Titanium Silver 530i, any suggestion for products and procedures from those who have the same color and get exellent results?

Dinzdale40
04-22-2004, 10:44 PM
well dark paints tend to pick up reflections better than light paints....so it`s hard to look past the characteristics of the paint color itself to see the difference in between waxes.....

Dinzdale40
04-22-2004, 10:53 PM
lighting also plays a big role.....because unless you are in a inclosed place with only artificial light and the camera mounted in the same position.....you`d get different results regardless of putting a coat of wax on the car at all......this type of stuff is so hard to actually prove....i just concentrate on getting all the prepwork right and after that I touch the paint as little as possible.....1-2 coats of wax is good enough for me.....

Scottwax
04-22-2004, 11:37 PM
It depends on the look I am going for but you should remember that on a properly prepped vehicle, the wax or sealant only makes a 5-10% difference either way. I tend to use products (mostly carnaubas) on darker colors for a more intense wet look and mostly sealants on lighter colors for higher reflections. Some products work well on all colors, like S100, Meguiars #16 and Poorboy`s EX-P because they are more clear than most other waxes and sealants.