PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Machine Polishes - Equivalent to ?

superstring
04-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Folks

This one is a long shot. For one thing I know that Griot`s products are not that popular on this board, but here goes anyway :)

Does anyone have an idea (hunch) of how the GG Machine Polishes (#1 & #2) compare in abrasive level to, say, DACP #83 or SFP #82? (I`m trying to remove light swirls on a BLACK car)

Thanks!

Accumulator
04-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Superstring- OK, I`ll try this...I used GG`s MPs for a long time before switching to other (better?) stuff.

MP1 is milder than DACP and doesn`t seem to contain (very) diminishing abrasives- they stay rather consistant. MP2 is probably similar to SFP, maybe a little stronger.

Only the MP1 can remove significant marring.

I always found (the current generation of) GG`s MPs to be too mild for real marring removal by PC on all but the softest paints. They just don`t have much bite. Well, the MP1 does, but for all the micromarring it leaves behind, it doesn`t cut all that well- sorta like it has the WORST features of other polishes!

One thing that can make a big difference is to use NON-Griot`s cutting pads with the MP1/MP2. In *my* experience, if you only use GG`s pads, you can spend (literally) many hours polishing without removing any significant marring. The polishes cut a LOT better with cutting pads than with the GG`s orange polishing pad.

Try to remove the swirls with MP1/cutting. Then remove the residual marring with MP2/cutting followed by MP2/polishing.

I`d really consider moving to different polishes when you run out of the MPs. My GG MPs just sit on the shelf these days...

superstring
04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Accumulator, thanks for the reply :D Which polishes do you use now, having shelved the GG stuff?

My situation is I just got the car back from the detailer`s, where they spent an afternoon polishing out some fairly significant buffing swirls, sanding marks and overspray that were left there by the paint shop.

The car sure looks a lot better than when they started! However there are still some light swirl marks left by their efforts. They used a rotary buffer with some kind of synthetic bonnet (which resembled lamb`s wool, but wasn`t) and a polish which I`m not familiar with (can`t remember the name, but it wasn`t something that I recognized from reading this board).

Anyway they told me that some swirling was inevitable (especially noticable on black, of course) and I should use a sealant with fillers to hide them. I`m planning to use the Klasse twins, but I think I should be able to do something more about the remaining swirls before I apply them.

They also told me not to touch the paint with a machine and foam pads otherwise I`d make a big mess! :eek:

I have some GG MP 2 & 3 which I`ve used with relatively good results in the past (IMHO anyway, having not tried any other products with the PC). However I`m feeling a little paranoid about the whole thing at the moment! :scared

Accumulator
04-23-2004, 05:46 PM
superstring- I`ll try to address your various Qs here on this thread.

I`ve switched to 3M, 1Z, and (soon) Menzerna polishes. I`ll occasionally use some Meg`s ones, too, especially their #80.

My favorites are the ones from 1Z, but if you want a "filler-less" effect, you`ll have to use something after them, as they leave wax behind (not a problem, if you ask me). The AIO should clean it off or you could use Menzerna FP as your last pre-Klasse step.

Another route would be 3M`s PI-III RC (05933) followed by PI-III MG (05937) or Meg`s #80. Then *maybe* your GG`s MP3 to finish it off if the 05937/#80 don`t leave a good enough finish for you/your paint.

But for now you could use the GG`s MPs (with maybe a cutting pad for the MP2 for starters). Don`t worry, stuff like MP2/MP3 with a polishing pad is *SO* mild it shouldn`t hurt anything. More likely, it will be too mild to ACCOMPLISH anything much.

I don`t see *ANY* legitimate reasons why the shop said a) some swirls are inevitable (there shouldn`t be any really obvious ones after a good professional polishing), and b) that you shouldn`t use polishes with the PC and foam pads- that`s just bull. I`m glad the car looks better for their efforts, but I dunno about shops that say things that aren`t true. The fact that they left a finish that you`re not satisfied with and that they only used a synthetic wool pad makes me wonder if they know what they`re doing...