PDA

View Full Version : Need a good over the counter polish..

Pages : [1] 2

turborave
04-22-2004, 06:48 PM
i am doing a car this weekend and i dont have time to order a polish. i was going to get Mother`s Polish, but then i saw the bottle of Meg`s #7 and i bought that. i am now reading on here that meg`s 7 isnt really a polish and shouldnt be applied with a PC. should i get the Mother`s Polish instead? i can also get a 3M glaze or step #2 of the 3 step Meg`s stuff. edit: forgot to mention that i already have a bottle of #9 2.0, could i use that?

mothers polish:

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpix/01116.jpg

megs deep crystal

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/images/product_a21.gif

megs #7

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/images/product_m07.gif

3m stuff:

http://www.trentcarter.com/images/CarCare/3MImperialHandGlaze.jpg

what will be the best for me to use with my PC before applying a coat of NXT?

thinksnow
04-22-2004, 07:00 PM
forgot to mention that i already have a bottle of #9

#9 will work--it has abrasives and oils which will fill minor swirls. Are you feeling you need a polish for swirl removal, paint cleaning, or just simple paint prep for your sealant? If you don`t have bad swirling, try using NXT with a polishing pad and slight pressure. Follow up with NXT with a finishing pad. Bet you`ll like it!

turborave
04-22-2004, 07:04 PM
i am doing a Mazda RX-8 thats about 2-3 months old... its been washed about 3-4 times.. once by me. so i doubt it has hardly any swirls at all, it is a charcoal gray color, so its not very dark.

so i should probably just take back the #7 and use the #9 i already have. then follow with the NXT.

Spilchy
04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Take it all back.

Use either the Mothers or Meguiars 3 step.

You can substitute the third step with NXT which can be bought locally.

You can use your #9 if you want for the first step.

This time, stay away from #7 and 3M IHG - they can be a pain to work with if you`re not careful (smearing, etc...)

turborave
04-22-2004, 07:21 PM
i only bought the #7

sounds like i will just stick with the #9 then NXT

GearHead_1
04-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Though #7 is advertised as a hand applied glaze Meguiar`s catalog says it can be used with an orbital.

turborave
04-22-2004, 09:05 PM
oooH! sooo confusing.. since its a new car i think i will stick with this:

wash

clay

wash

#9 (maybe? what do you think?)

NXT

the main goal is to get a coat of wax on it.. the car is new and never been waxed. its pollen and sap season! i have #26 paste wax too. i just got the NXT and have never used it. i figured i`d use it on my friends car. i have been using the 26 on my car and love it. although i have never applied it with a PC.

http://turborave.snittens.com/car%20shiz/FIRST_PC_USE/DSC00038.JPG

shaf
04-22-2004, 10:04 PM
There seems to be some confusion here. All of it seems to be with the fact that the word "polish" can mean almost anything. I don`t know if you want a non-abrasive glaze, or a mildly abrasive polish (the way most people consider that word), but:

Mothers Reflections is not a polish. It`s a synthetic wax with some cleaners (kind of like NXT).

Deep Crystal 2, #7, and 3M IHG are all in the same basket. These are non-abrasive glazes. Used in between actual polishing and waxing to enhance the shine.

You might want to buy a swirl remover product, try #9 or #82 as suggested. Or 3M SMR.

If the car really is "brand new" and doesn`t have any swirl marks at all, you might be able to skip the swirl remover. Definitely use #7 if you have time.

Do your friend a favour and make sure his wash technique and media are safe, otherwise this all will almost be a wasted effort. Good washing can keep a car (mostly) swirl free for quite a while.

NozeBleedSpeed
04-22-2004, 10:16 PM
I wouldnt be too concerned with the abrasives in #9, even for perfect new paint. IME #9 is mostly just oil. It would take a week and a couple of bottles of #9 with a buffing pad to actually abrade away enough paint to notice. Trust me, you would give out before the paint would, using #9 with a PC. #9 will oil the paint up nice and shiny though.

Jesstzn
04-23-2004, 09:41 AM
The RX-8 might have dealer supplied swirls .. I think if you use #9 then NXT won`t the mild cleaners in the NXT remove the oils in #9 revealing the swirls?

Maybe #82 then NXT ..

I just looked at an RX-8 in a dealer showroom in Kelowna .. same grey .. was swirled all to h*ll and had no miles.

membim
04-23-2004, 09:44 AM
S100 SEC is a great polish that can be purchased at your local Harley Davidson dealer.

turborave
04-23-2004, 01:25 PM
so, no #9 and NXT? i went to a shop near here that has all kinds of obscure detailing products. i think they had EVERY number of Meguair`s EXEPT 82! i have a jug of klasse AIO, but its about a year and a half old.

i guess i can just use the #9 and then the #26. i was looking forward to the NTX though!

2wheelsx2
04-23-2004, 01:51 PM
You can use the NXT if you wanted to. Nothing wrong with it. Or if you want, use the NXT and then the #26. Won`t hurt a thing.

Accumulator
04-23-2004, 06:03 PM
TurboDave- Heh heh, this must have your head spinning.

As Nozebleed said, the #9 is *VERY* mild. I wouldn`t expect it to do much for marring on Mazda clear, if that`s what you`ll be dealing with. If there is marring on the Mazda, use at least #80 to reduce/remove it, maybe even #83. Mazda clear is pretty hard, so swirls can be tough to get out.

Meg`s stuff is always pretty compatible. Assuming no marring, I think you might oughta try the #9/NXT combo, since you`re sorta itching to try the NXT anyhow. Use the PC to apply them both. If the results are somehow disappointing, you can always top the NXT with #26.

#7 (or #3, #5, #81) can add a bit to the finish, and are supposedly compatible with NXT, but *I* wouldn`t bother on Mazda clearcoat. But yeah, it works fine by PC, I did it that way on a ss Jag last fall and it turned out fine. But for clear, the #81 is usually a better choice. Most people find it a lot more user-friendly than #7.

imported_series1
04-23-2004, 09:14 PM
I like Mothers Premium Polish. I used it on my brothers intrepid and it restored the gloss very well. It also beads up very nicely.