PDA

View Full Version : I Couldn`t Help Myself

Gadfly
04-22-2004, 02:13 PM
I just can`t help fooling around with my black Santa Fe. It has been a couple of months since the original application of NXT. I was totally pleased! NXT, NXT Spray Wax and FD are a killer combination!

But, I had to play with it. Last December I availed myself with the clearance sale on 4*UPP. I had used UPP V.2 about a year ago and was pleased with the results.(I was still new to the detailing game) The next iteration was S100, then EX, then NXT. Every time produced a new "favorite."

I applied 4*UPP V.3 today. It is quite seasonable with temperatures in the high 70s. I waited an hour to remove UPP using a concours buffing cloth under a Wal-Mart orbital at 2800 OPS. I must say that I am very impressed!

Now, with the yellow pollen season at hand, it will be a challenge to keep the paint looking nice. I intend to use S&W to knock down the pollen and then use Meg`s FD to make it shine.

I will keep you informed.

Ray Jicka aka Gadfly

thinksnow
04-22-2004, 03:16 PM
UPP is AWESOME. Nothing I have used is slicker (WG is a close second). HOWEVER, during pollen season, I discovered that #16 is a little better at shedding the yellow evil. UPP seems to attract it something fierce. It will reduce the slickness to top with #16 but do one sample panel to compare the pollen accumulation. The difference is impressive.

PaUlzRiDe
05-18-2004, 04:37 PM
i think a good car wash everynow and then could do the trick

imported_Dave Holmes
05-19-2004, 03:22 AM
I have noticed that the carnaubas I`ve used attract much more pollen/dust than polymers. But my CCD takes care of it in about a minute (with NO marring when used properly). FD afterwards is a very nice touch, but not always necessary. Frequent washings are the best way to deal with it; but being a disabled vet, washing EVERY day can be a daunting task.

Thankfully, our pollen season is over. Now I get to deal with the unrelenting southern heat and humidity.

Dave

togwt
05-19-2004, 07:33 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Pollen:

The yellow dust you see in the air made up of small cells from blooming plants and are one of the most common allergy triggers. The pollen from trees are the main concern, vehicles get hit with pollen laced trees that include: oak, western red cedar, elm, birch, ash, hickory, polar, sycamore, maple, cypress and walnut. Pollen isn’t removed as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic.

As well as being an allergic it is both an abrasive and a corrosive type dust especially when mixed with water (“Always add the acid to the water – never add the water to acid†Chemistry 101) and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable.

For dry pollen dust use a (California Car Duster) lightly brush the surface using long strokes in one direction only. If the pollen is wet remove with a damp waffle weave towel, to avoid scratching, using as little pressure as possible, again wiping in one direction only. As soon as is practical, thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a hose and clean water to ensure all acidic pollen is neutralized / removed.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*