PDA

View Full Version : claying question

Simplistic
04-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I found that if I apply too much lube, then the clay won`t pick pu much at all, i find if i jus tapply a light mist it will "stick" better. what about you guys? btw i was kinda pissed to pay 20 bucks CDN for my megs clay kit and see it only came with 100gs of clay. so small :( :(

Glossequation
04-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Simplistic

I found that if I apply too much lube, then the clay won`t pick pu much at all, i find if i jus tapply a light mist it will "stick" better. what about you guys? btw i was kinda pissed to pay 20 bucks CDN for my megs clay kit and see it only came with 100gs of clay. so small :( :(

You may have to do a few more passes, but I am much more comfortable with too much lube than too little and am confident that it is just as effective with lots of lube. I find streaking and the clay getting caught up on the paint when there`s not enough lube. Remember, it is an abraisive so it can technically it can scratch.

I just clayed my g/f`s SAAB convertible and used the whole bottle of ClayMagic`s supplied stuff...

Mr Concours
04-22-2004, 04:07 PM
I wash the car once,rinse- then wash again leaving the suds on the car, then clay the whole car then rinse,using the shampoo already on the car as lube,the Sun over here in England rarely is powerful enough to bake the shampoo onto the bodywork but I mostly wash in evening anyway.

txz28
04-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I have not really had a problem with too much lube. You really don`t want the clay to stick to the paint. If you don`t use enough you will get clay residue on the paint which looks dull and worse than when you started.

breakneckvtec
04-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Clay is not an abrasive

It can scratch because if dirt gets caught underneath it can drag across the paint

Clay itself contains no cut, it pulls things from paint.

newf
04-22-2004, 09:09 PM
There`s no such thing as too much lube

.....sorry, couldn`t resist :)

shaf
04-22-2004, 09:39 PM
You`ll just have to swipe more. It`s better to have too much lubrication than too little, but if you`re using the QD that it comes with, consider pouring some in another spray bottle and diluting it with some water. Not officially recommended, but it should still be quite slick this way.

If you use too little lube you will probably cause some fine haze/marring on the paint.

BTW, cut the bar into 2 or 3 if you haven`t already.

jasonatv22
04-23-2004, 07:10 AM
I agree, no such thing as too much lube.

Most people who complain that the lube makes their bar dissolve are either using Mothers or using something that breaks down the clay as a lube. I found, when claying my wife`s car`s back window, that EO 20/20 will absolutely dissolve Clay Magic.

When the clay manufacturers want you to use lube, they mean it. The product does not work by gripping onto your paint.

luke667
04-23-2004, 07:58 AM
i heard a dilution of somethin like gold class car wash and water is good to use as lube...

Glossequation
04-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

Clay is not an abrasive

Clay itself contains no cut, it pulls things from paint.

I`m not sure about this, ClayMagic also sells a red claybar for heavy overspray--what is the difference between the blue and red? My thoughts were coarser abraisives in the red, or perhaps coarser "micro" abraisives.

How does it pull from the paint if it is not abraisive?

togwt
04-23-2004, 09:35 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

There are only a couple manufactures of clay, and U.S. patents protect the technology. Clay is manufactured with different levels of abrasiveness and colours to suite different applications. There are some subtle difference in technology (plastic vs. polymer material) and the firmness of the material. In general, softer clays are safer and easier to use, firmer clay cleans better with a little more risk of scuffing or scratching.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Accumulator
04-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Wanna know if *your* clay is abrasive? Get a piece of soft plastic. Wash it so there`s no dirt on the plastic. Without using lube, rub a (new) piece of clay against the plastic (yeah, it`ll be tough to do without lube). Check it out under maginfication and see if the clay marred the plastic. You could use a CD, but I`m thinking of something even softer.

Hint- *most* things are abrasive to some extent, but it seldom matters as many of them are NOT abrasive enough to mar automotive paint.

blackcaraddict- Yeah, "red" clay *is* abrasive. It "cuts" the overspray a little to get it to (initially) release from whatever it`s on. But "regular" clay does NOT rely on abrasives to do it`s thing. Rather than "cutting off" contamination, it "adheres to" contamination. Like using a piece of tape to pull broken glass off your carpet.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Simplistic, im in total agreement with you.....
I have found theres really a fine line to proper claying. Too much lube, or too slippery of a lube, and the clay slides about the surface, not really getting a chance to adhere or grab the pollutants. I have never had a problem with just water, although i may have a problem with a severly neglected surface. Most of the surfaces Im claying have a somewhat slick surface on them to start with, and the clay glides nice and smooth......I`d rather have to wipe a little clay residue, than find that the job itself isnt adequate........
Now that you mention that...I think I had the "did it clean?" experience but didn`t think about it like you stated above...very interesting. I`m curious and will check it out next claying

luke667
04-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Like using a piece of tape to pull broken glass off your carpet.

Thanks accumalator...looks like u helped me find another useful tip on autopia! :xyxthumbs