PDA

View Full Version : Zaino users, what is the best swirl remover!!??

mike79
04-22-2004, 12:20 AM
I am planning on starting my zaino layering process, but I need to remove the swirls/marring first. I have read A LOT of threads on this using the search function, but im finding myself getting more confused. I beleive I have narrowed it down to a few products to remove the swirls, and then be able to apply the zaino and have it bond well, but i`m not too sure.

1z MP. Seems to work well for people, but contains fillers. I then have to wash the car after in order to remove these OR...

I can then apply Menzerna final polish to remove the fillers that the 1z leaves. Or, is the 1z a step that I should skip all together, and just go with the FP??

These will all be done with a PC.

The car has slight swirls/marring, and very light scratches in some spots.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

paco
04-22-2004, 12:33 AM
That`s depends:

1. Are you willing to go mail order or do you prefer the ability to pick up supplies at a local shop?

2. It`s easier if you stick to a particular brand of product and work through their system. Once you get comfortable with all the products out there and which one`s work best, then you can add speciality products to your line up.

3. How do you intended to polish: by hand, orbital, dual action polisher or rotary polisher?

Personally, I`d stick to something like Meguiars, 3M or 1Z in the beginning for polishes and then add other`s as you go and stay clear of their most abrasive one until you get comfortable.

If go Meguiars, going from least abrasive to most:

Meguiars Body Shop line: Swirl Free Polish, Dual Action Cleaner Polish, Compound Power Cleaner (I`d stop there)

Meguiars Pro Line: No. 9, Fine Cut, Medium Cut (I`d stop there).

If you stick to one manufacture and one product line, you`ll be much better off.

For Zaino, just make sure to wash before you apply the Zaino products to ensure you remove as much of the oils from the finish before you apply the sealant. Thereby, ensuring maximum adhension.

As for fillers, their not necessarily a bad thing! Depending on how much time you have and skill. Filling can be a good thing. If you have a lot of time and know what you are doing, then filling is bad only because it gives you a false sense that you have fix the issue. If you don`t have a lot of time or are not very good at polishing, filling can make you feel good about what you just completed.

For the most part, filler`s won`t effect a sealant to a great degree if you wash before applying it.

Wash, Clay, Polish, Wash, Dry, Sealant

Wash, Clay, Polish, Glaze, Wax

Paco

Dave N
04-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I think that SMRs are really kind of a crap shoot, in that you just have to try a few to find what works best for you. I`ve personally tried: Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, #80 Speed Glaze, Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP); 3M SMR for dark colored cars; and Autoint Swirl Free Polish. Right now my favorite for medium/bad swirls is #2 with a CMA white pad, followed closely by #80 (but I think #80 contains a fair amount of fillers). A lot of people love DACP, but for me it gummed up and was hard to work with.

Others on this board really like the Menzerna IP and FP combination. I have some samples of these, but haven`t had time to use them yet. I think CMA sells a set of these for $20, so they may be worth looking into. An added bonus is that they contain no fillers, so they should work better with Zaino.

I have used Zaino after 3M SMR and Meg #2, but I always washed after polishing. If I were to apply Zaino again I would try the Menzerna polishes, just based on the great reviews they have received on this site.

There, that probably just added to your confusion, but I guess my message is to just choose something and try it out. If money is not an object then choose 2 or 3 to try out.

square
04-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I can not comment on Menzerna, but I will tell you what I like, having tried many products. First Mequires SMR#9 using a PC and a yellow pad. Then for a final polish, GEPC using the PC and a white pad. I seem to end up with a buttery smooth finish using these steps.

Next the Dawn wash, you need to remove any oils before Zaino. The Dawn wash may remove fillers from the previous steps, so evaluate your finish after the Dawn wash. If you like the finish, start Zaino.

Lou

paco
04-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Mike,

Also, most of the products discussed here repeatedly are great and for the most part, you can`t go wrong with any of them.

i.e. Meguiar`s, 3M, 1Z, Menzerna, Clearkote, Poorboy`s, Wolfgang etc.

It`s really personal preference, experience and availability that makes the difference on which to try out.

When you first start out, it`s best to keep it simple. Hence my recommendation of going with Meguiar`s. Huge product line, well respected formulations, tonnes of information on how to use them, okay support line, many many people here know how to use them.

JasonC8301
04-22-2004, 04:47 PM
A product can only go so far. Technique makes or breaks a product IMHO. I would recommend reading up on swirl removal with PC.

Click here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25153) for a thread about my swirl removal process. I did use a rotary and Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish.

This (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36480) is the follow up thread to my swirl removal thread.

As said in the posts above, a wash is nice after de-swirling. I recommend a dawn wash before Zaino. I used a 50/50 solution of alcohol/water after polishing with final polish to make sure all the fillers were removed so I can re-polish an area if needed to make sure it was perfect, or close to perfect. Then I proceeded with a dawn wash. Then Zaino away.

I don`t have much experience with other swirl removers. I have the Valugard line (samples), gave Meguiar`s DACP a try and found it ok, 3M Finesse It II is also used occasionally.

I will work on bringing up my detailing skills back up to par after missing a winter.

breakneckvtec
04-22-2004, 04:52 PM
I dont use zaino. However my two big hitters are DACP and SSR2. I like both so much I usually use them for all types of swirl removal I encounter, some say start with something less abrasive. Neither of these are too agressive though, and 9 of 10 times I work my way to them. Now I dont mess around, I reach for them first, if it was diamond cut or something I would think twice but with these two choices...polish away! :xyxthumbs