PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me revamp my method??

vaca222
04-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Alright, did the full Autopian detail on Friday with the the new PC. I posted a thread about this yesterday (about Meg`s #9), pardon the redundancy.

Here`s what I did....

Wash

Clay

Wash

Meg`s #9

AIO

SG

s100

Now, I still have some very light spiderwebbing on some my of my hood and my small trunk. I thought the #9 would get rid of the swirling, but it didn`t seem to unless I used it incorrectly. Is there something in specific I should do? Maybe switch to a different product? Some have mentioned that the AIO erased the work I did with #9.

BTW, for the #9 I applied the product to the pad, placed the PC on the panel, and started from there.

:nixweiss

imported_Greg
04-21-2004, 05:06 PM
#9 just probably wasn`t aggressive enough for your swirls. You might have to bump up to something more aggressive and a yellow cutting pad.

imported_SouthernZ71
04-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Might have to bump up to DACP or use Megs swirlfree. I`ve never used swirlfree but do a search under Scottwax as he seems to like it.

As for AIO it`s a more of a chemical polish that is better for oxidation. However some people have had luck with removing swirls using AIO, I haven`t though....

Accumulator
04-21-2004, 05:33 PM
What the others have said, you almost certainly just need a more aggressive product.

If DACP seems like overkill for your "*very light* spiderwebbing", I`d try the #80 Speed Glaze. It has a little more cut than the #82 (which is sorta just a "clearcoat-centric" version of #9, a *little* more aggressive, but not much). The #80 is pretty user-friendly, too.

vaca222
04-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys, I didn`t realize my swirls could be that deep, but I`ll def. give it a shot with another product. People seem to like the DACP, so that`ll be my next step.

Thanks!

imported_NHBFAN
04-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

The #80 is pretty user-friendly, too.

So #80 is easy to remove?

What`s the origin of the name "speed glaze"? It`s not really a glaze is it? Isn`t it a "medium" polish?

imported_Greg
04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
It can be used as a one step because it polishes and puts down a layer of a body shop safe paintable polymer, which provides some protection. Good product.

Jesstzn
04-21-2004, 10:40 PM
#9 has fillers etc and the AIO prolly lifted them.

shaf
04-22-2004, 02:03 AM
If you want to try DACP, I would suggest trying DACP with a polishing pad, rather than a cutting pad, first. I find there is a noticable difference in the strength and finish between these, and you don`t want to get more aggressive than you have to.

If that doesn`t work then go DACP/cutting pad.

I don`t know how you went about your detail, but after each polishing step you should stop and see if you`ve accomplished your goal or not. No sense in moving on to wax/sealant yet if you`ve failed to remove the swirls you wanted to get rid of.

imported_SouthernZ71
04-22-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

If you want to try DACP, I would suggest trying DACP with a polishing pad, rather than a cutting pad, first. I find there is a noticable difference in the strength and finish between these, and you don`t want to get more aggressive than you have to.

If that doesn`t work then go DACP/cutting pad.

I don`t know how you went about your detail, but after each polishing step you should stop and see if you`ve accomplished your goal or not. No sense in moving on to wax/sealant yet if you`ve failed to remove the swirls you wanted to get rid of.

:up

membim
04-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Poorboy`s SSR polishes work well on swirls as well. They are also very easy to use.

6cyl's_of_fury
04-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Menazerna FP. Kick *** polish for light swirls IMO. Hasn`t failed me yet......

Accumulator
04-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

So #80 is easy to remove?

What`s the origin of the name "speed glaze"? It`s not really a glaze is it? Isn`t it a "medium" polish?

Yeah, it breaks down quickly and easily (even by hand) and it wipes off easily too.

Meg`s uses terms like "polish and "glaze" in a way that must make sense to someone...I find this, uhm, problematic; the best you can do is check here to find out what the products really are/do before trying them.

You`re right, #80 is a mild abrasive that, as Greg said, leaves behind a "no problem" protectant that won`t mess with curing paint.