PDA

View Full Version : Zaino durability

JasonC8301
04-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Hello Autopia,

(Mods - didn`t know where to put this, Click and Brag or Product Discussion because its about Zaino durability, with some pictures.)

We all know Zaino is durable but just how durable is the sealant?

I have laid back for the winter and spring has come. I applied Zaino Z2 sealant to a 1999 blue Corolla last fall. I estimate it to be around July/August. I should have documented it but I was in a hurry with school starting and everything.

This is the post I last remembering posting about it.

Click here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25153)

9 months later, winter storms, salt, sleet, rain, no washes, this is what it looks like.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12winterz1before.jpg

That is really gross. After washing the car with 4 capfuls of Z7 in 3 gallons water (had to remake this solution 3 times, and empty/refill the mitt rinse bucket at least 5 or 6 times) and dried it.

This is what it looks like,

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12afterwashzwinter.jpg

I surely knew Zaino was still on the surface, the water beaded/sheeted. It was still a bit..well very cold so I didn`t snap pictures of the water sheet/bead, I apologize for that. The car was much easier to wash that something without protection, I have experienced cars without a proper washing for years, and it took much longer than what I took to wash this car.

I did see slight marring in the paint or was it the Z layer, looks like washing swirls to me. They were solved later by the Zaino Z5.

The Z18 clay bar was done in the picture above on the bottom right. Made the paint nice and smooth (winter build up sure takes it toll on paint.)

I worked through the night with Z5 and ZFX and managed 2 coats with Z6 after each coat.

This is how it looked like in the morning.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12themorningz.jpg

Here are a few more shots from a few hours later in the day with a little bit more lighting.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12afternoon.jpg

There are a few rub ins of Zaino Z-16 on the tires. The tires and hub caps were cleaned with Omni all Purpose cleaner by Valugard www.autoint.com . I took off the hub caps and darn they were dirty. Took just as much effort washing the car as it did getting the hub caps and tires back up to par, or close to it at least. I suggested new rims and tires, but that is not on the priority list.

I was surprised Zaino lasted through all the winter conditions of NJ and all the salt they use.

I am sticking with Zaino, I have now seen durability through acutal usage and not just from other people`s experiences.

Sure there are a SOME weird things about it like mixing the ZFX with Z sealant, and the great smell of the stuff that makes me take sa few wiffs here and there (doesn`t count as huffing because it smells so darn good), and all the comments about how did I change the car in a time period of 18 hours.

More pictures and testing to come as I use my own digital camera (I recently purchased a Minolta Dimage X20) because in this photo shoot, I used a Nikon Coolpix 955. I know how to take picutres with it, but I can`t mess with the settings enough to take true to life picutres. The pictures I posted above look similar to what the car looked in person albeit a bit darker in the pictures. I couldn`t mess with over exposure and white balance.

Thank you for reading,

Jason

shaf
04-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Hi Jason, glad to know you`re still around! :wavey

Nice pictures and good info on Zaino lasting through the winter.

Don`t be a stranger. ;)

imported_memnuts
04-21-2004, 06:38 AM
Excellent report and evidence that we frequent washers probably remove / degrade our protectant more so than the environment. My brother has alway been a infrequent washer of his vehicles (2 BMW`s and Land Cruiser) after months of New England weather, his finishes always look like new when the grime is removed. He only uses off the shelf products too. Go figure. :nixweiss

chris0626
04-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Great testimonial -- and even greater to hear from the elusive Jason again after too darn long. :D

Jason, I`ve had similar experience with Zaino down here, with car exposed 24/7 to snow and ice and road yuck. But thanks for taking the pix of your experience.

s2skimon
04-25-2004, 04:27 PM
excellent thanks for sharing.. I agree

MattZ28
04-25-2004, 04:31 PM
My Zaino won`t last more than a month or so :(

s2skimon
04-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

My Zaino won`t last more than a month or so :(

I guess its all that FLA sun :D

Jesstzn
04-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Mine lasted like that .. same tipe of winters but I washed it weekly ... all I had was a couple chips and some wash swirls

BradE
04-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Good to see you again Jason.

As for the Zaino, ain`t it cool? :D I get the same results through Cincinnati winters, it`s simply amazing. It`s like armor for your paint.

eran
04-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Prooves Ziano durability without a doubt!

tkr128
04-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Good job on the Corolla! :up

I too applied Zaino to our 99 Corolla LE (silver) in late July and when I detailed it 2 weeks ago, it was still beading and somewhat slick. Although the winters over here aren`t very harsh, IMO, 8-9 months is pretty good!

DETAILKING
04-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Yup...I can relate. My car was a mess this winter, and all it took was one Z7 wash to bring back that shine. Spring cleaning went sooo much easier!

MattZ28
04-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by montoya

I guess its all that FLA sun :D

Nope..my car is garaged most of the time unless I`m at school or out somewhere. I`ve had up to ~12 coats at a time on, and it lasts until I wash it.....must be something in the water, because I know I`m not doing anything wrong when I wash it. (soft 100% cotton wash mitt, Zaino Z7 soap, 100% cotton towels to dry)

JasonC8301
05-03-2004, 04:29 AM
MattZ28,

How exactely do you wash you`re Z28? (I want details, I mean right down to measured amounts of soap and water, lol well I`m not kidding :) ) I am not doubting your skill, but it can be a lot of factors (paint, water, soap, sealant, air temperature, etc. etc.)

You got me on this one...Zaino is one of the longest lasting products I tried.

Thanks for the comments, I hope to be back for the month of May and then I will have to depart for another "vacation."

Jason