PDA

View Full Version : Layering Question

BmoreGS4
04-20-2004, 07:54 PM
what is the usual wait time on layering I want to do AIO+SGx2+s100 combo but how long should i wait to apply the secon coat of SG?

A few details:

I am in maryland pollen is killing us slowly

I have to work outside no covering @ all

I am working on my Alpine Silver GS400

All work will be done by hand

If someone knows a better combo for this color let me know and because of my circumstances let me know the best approach. Thanks

a.k.a. Patrick
04-20-2004, 07:57 PM
A whopping 24 hrs is recommended.....you would/could probably get by on less, but thats the norm.....

BmoreGS4
04-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

A whopping 24 hrs is recommended.....you would/could probably get by on less, but thats the norm.....

So should I wash again before adding SG?

then let cure another 24 hrs then add s100?

all this info is driving me crazy:nixweiss

a.k.a. Patrick
04-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Bmore, i guess that depends on whether or not you have driven the car in question. You could get by with QD`ing, although im against the idea of putting any chemical on a coat of wax or sealant, while in the layering stages. If you wiped it down with a microfiber (moistened with water), im sure you would be ok, as long as it was just a light dust you had removed. But again, layering can only be performed on a clean surface, if its in the garage after your first layer, go with #2 without any additional cleaning. If you took it to work for a day, it needs to be wiped down at a minimum....

C_Rock77
04-24-2004, 04:45 AM
I`m not sure if you realize.....but you can do the layer of Klasse AIO and the layer of Klasse SG back-to-back. There is no curing time required between AIO and your 1st coat of SG. However, you must wait 24 hrs to put ANYTHING on top of your SG.

I keep hearing that applying a QD that does not have any oils (waxes) in it will not interfere with your subsequent layers of SG bonding.

I am not sure, however, what precautions, if any, should be taken to apply the s100 on top of the SG. Granted, the SG must cure for the customary 24 hrs, but I don`t believe any other kind of prep must be done. Sure....the surface must be clean. I just don`t feel that carnubas are as finiky about the surfaces to which they`re bonding as acrylic sealants are.

6cyl's_of_fury
04-24-2004, 08:04 AM
If you QD with a compatible QD like Sonus prior to putting down the second layer, there shouldnt be any issues.....

Accumulator
04-24-2004, 11:52 AM
BmoreGS4- If I were in your situation, I`d just wait until the next wash and apply the second coat of SG then. Then keep doing this until you`re satisfied with how it looks (maybe 3-4 layers) then top it, after the next wash.