s2skimon
04-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Hi all,

Stage One: 3M SMR w/ separate orange pad

Stage Two: NXT w/ another orange pad

Stage Three: Microfibre bonnet to remove NXT

is it okay to apply NXT with my PC ?

how many layers of NXT ?

What would be your Meguiar`s substitute or equivalent to 3M FCC and 3M SMR ?

or due to NXT`s cleaning, swirl fill in capabilities is the 3M SMR stage needed at all ?

and I should mention, there`s about 15 layers of Zaino on .. heh heh

Thanks

jpm

Dinzdale40
04-20-2004, 07:51 PM
I would use Meg`s SFP instead of SMR.....you`d get more swirl removing power and it polishes out really good too.

NXt is fine to apply with a PC....layering is up to you...i never keep waxes on long enough to justify layering them......

s2skimon
04-20-2004, 07:52 PM
what is Meguiar`s SFP ?

Mike_Phillips
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by montoya

Hi all,

Stage One: 3M SMR w/ separate orange pad

Stage Two: NXT w/ another orange pad

Stage Three: Microfiber bonnet to remove NXT

is it okay to apply NXT with my PC ?

Yes – I don’t have any experience with the orange pad, so your results may vary. Is it a polishing pad or a finishing pad?

How many layers of NXT ?

2 applications are best at any one detailing session with as much time in-between the first and second coat to allow the polymers to fully set-up. I saw a big difference in the results on this car between the first and second coats.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218

What would be your Meguiar`s substitute or equivalent to 3M FCC and 3M SMR ?

I think #82 is pretty close to SMR, maybe #3 Machine Glaze is closer. If I were you, I would pick up a bottle of #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and go over the entire car with this first. It will completely remove any trace of the Zaino and produce a nice, clean, clear base onto which to create a beautiful finish.

or due to NXT`s cleaning, swirl fill in capabilities is the 3M SMR stage needed at all ?

NXT’s cleaning ability is over-hyped by a few here an on other forums. It has a sleight amount of a diminishing abrasive that is only active at the very beginning of the application process.

Thus not only can you apply second and third coats, you should. Just ignore the people that try to position Tech Wax as though it’s an abrasive cutting compound for removing 800 grit sanding marks.

The filling ability of Tech Wax is minor, but more than most. Just the same, don’t be fooled into thinking you can use it after compound your finish with a wool pad and a coarse cutting compound and create a swirl-free flawless finish. It isn’t going to happen.

That said, check out this guys thoughts after using Tech Wax on his Black Corvette,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=802474

How about these results from Tech Wax with it’s ever, so sleight cleaners on the Corvette that previously only had Zaino on it…

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2AlexsCorvetteFinished1.jpg

And I should mention, there`s about 15 layers of Zaino on .. heh heh

Thanks

Jpm

The above Corvette had around that many layers also… after a little #83, they`re all gone.

Mike

s2skimon
04-20-2004, 08:29 PM
thanks Mike.. the orange pad does both ! it`s amazing .. I normally use one for swirl or FCC`ng and then another for polishing.. of course then my MF bonnet for removing..

I will seek out #83 and insert NXT into my arsenal.. It`s kinda sad leaving Zaino, as I`ve been using Zaino for about 5 years now..

From what I`ve read, I personally think NXT is revolutionary in that its one product that does not require an accelerant, mixture, a shake, shake, shake and etc.. simply easier to apply than z2, z5..

I`m still going to try s100 QD on it after all is said and done

jpm

Mike_Phillips
04-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Here`s a tip when you top it,

Only top one section on a flat panel and then inspect in both bright artificial light and bright sunlight so you can be sure of the results. If you top the entire car you won`t be able to see the difference.

Also, I recently tested 7 popular waxes for cleaning by applying them over a permanent black felt marker,

Klasse SG

Poorboy`s Carnabua EX

Pinnacle Souveran Paste

Zaino Z2 with ZFX

4 Star UPP

Black Fire

NXT

Control (nothing on it)

Of all the above products tested, only Klasse SG and Pinnacle Souveran Paste left the black felt marker in place. All of the other products removed the black felt marker. I should have tried P21S and Meguiar`s #16 also but my paint panel was only so big.

I have tried topping it a couple of times and inspected in bright sunlight and have never seen an improvement.

Of course, YMMV...

Mike