PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba moose over EX-P

breakneckvtec
04-20-2004, 04:37 PM
What do you guys think? I am not much a believer in this cancels that and so forth. And I actually thought about this:

I currently have VM, EX-P on the car. The EX-P being clear as it is took on the characteristics of the VM. The paint has a wet, reflective, slightly darker look to it, very wet look. Carnauba moose is designed for use with VM obviously. Since EX-P is so clear its like getting the added sealant protection between them to lock those VM fillers in for a while, then the CM topper to give a nice deep wet look. Thoughts? Opinions? Should I try it?

Scottwax
04-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Try it and see what happens. The carriers in CMW may affect the durability of EX-P though. CMW does darken the color more than EX-P does. I know a few who have used CMW over EX w/carnauba and have been happy with the results.

breakneckvtec
04-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Well my main thing lately has been WET

I love a wet look to paint, dark/light/clear/deep/reflective those things are a bit harder to notice and what I worry less about. I just want a super wet looking finish with some nice durability. Thats where this idea came about, the EX-P gives a wet look, but I thought that some CMW could really add some more. I understand it could have some effect on the durability of the EX-P but with a coat of VM, EX-P and CMW I think the paint will be more than protected for some time. I will probably throw a coat of CMW on once a month come summer. Plus, before winter I will strip it down and go pure EX-P for durabilty reasons for the winter anyway. :bounce

What do you think?

imported_memnuts
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
As Scott said, give it a try. Sounds like a good logical experiment for the desired appearance you seek--- WET. :D

breakneckvtec
04-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I think I will give it a shot, in some ways I think I wasted time with EX-P, but upon looking at my car it does look as scottwax says "dipped in salad oil." I am happy with it as is, I just want to see if I cant get it a bit wetter :xyxthumbs

BTW: I think I will do a before and after and post the pics. I will try to use the same angle and light and see if we cant tell any difference in wetness/appearance.

Horseman2475
04-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Do it. I will be watching for your results.

breakneckvtec
04-21-2004, 02:02 PM
If it doesnt rain this weekend I will do it and post up some pics...

imported_Greg
04-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Like Scott said, my only reservation would be that the durability would be affected due to the pretty high solvent content in CMW.

breakneckvtec
04-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Doesnt the carnauba version not act like a cleaner wax?

I mean, if it did then why would you put it over VM, wouldnt it just remove that too?

Maybe I will just throw some S100 over it.

imported_memnuts
04-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Maybe EX-P is similiar to WG which recommends that you can top with their Pinnacle Series paste products and Klasse that is always topped by some for best appearance. These are also high in solvents as is S100/P21S. If you are going to maintain every 4-6 weeks you will be protected by both EX-P and topper or an alter version of EX-P plus topper. Either way your paint will be protected and you may achieve the appearance you desire.

Scottwax
04-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

Doesnt the carnauba version not act like a cleaner wax?

I mean, if it did then why would you put it over VM, wouldnt it just remove that too?

Maybe I will just throw some S100 over it.

CMW is not abrasive. The solvents in it may remove some of the protective qualities of VM, but not the polishing effect. BTW, I have been finding the VM/CMW combo is much more durable than I would have thought. 4-6 months of beading and noticable slickness still.