PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a friend

spotter
04-20-2004, 01:40 PM
I work out every morning at a gym and some of the people there have been asking me a lot of questions about how I got my car to look so good. I have talked a couple of them into buying some Clay Magic and claying their cars. One of these people is a "soccer mom" that drives a big Suburban and wants to do a one step (preferably an easy on easy off) after claying. I was considering recommending just AIO. I figured that she would love the way it looks and after seeing how easy it was to use might consider doing SG afterwards or coming back and doing AIO and SG the next time around. Her Suburban is garage kept and the Klasse Twins would probably last her close to a year.

Would Poorboys EX be any good in this situation? I have some of this and would be glad to let her use it since I probably never will (I am sold on Klasse with S100).

tpgsr
04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Both sound like a good combination, the only difference that i can see is that the AIO has some level of mild abrasive in it, while the ex does not from what i understand. Eitehr way she will have some protection and some nice smooth paint.

kustomsol
04-20-2004, 02:37 PM
I am in the midst of comparing Zaino and Waxing Frenzy. My initial impression of Waxing Frenzy is very favorable. It was easy on and easy off, and looked as good as Z-2. It has only been on the car for a few days, but is a marine product, so I expect it to hold up well. On the other hand, if she has gone to the trouble to clay the car, why not use a durable sealant l;ike Zaino, Klasse, etc.? They all go on as easily as any one step, and she apparently has properly prepared the surface. Hate to see her cover it with less than one of the best.

blackntan
04-20-2004, 03:00 PM
A soccer mom with SG!?!?!?!?!? No way! Some of us even have difficulties working with it, someone with no experience with waxing, and (assumption) without the right tools would be completely lost with it. I`d be willing to bet that the casual user could goof up SG like we couldn`t imagine. I`ve seen some of my friends try to use it, and it`s hilarious, until I realize that i`m going to be the one fixing it... I`d keep that out of anyones hands that doesn`t visit this site..

For the casual person, I always recommend something easy, decent lasting, and with some cleaner properties. It`s one step, instant gratification, and won`t scare em out of the hobby...

My top 5 non-autopian recommendations are:

Nu Finish

Mothers/Meguiars Cleaner wax

Zymol cleaner wax

NXT

gold class

Scott P
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
For one step products, I like the following:

Mother`s Carnauba Cleaner Wax

Liquid Glass

Regular Moose Wax

Polish with Carnauba

Klasse AIO is a good idea, but I think the Soccer Mom would be better off witha quick one step outlined above. Maybe even the new EO Nano Wax would be a good idea.

thinksnow
04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
A soccer mom could handle AIO pretty easily but definitely not SG (as BNT said). I have been very happy with AIO as a one step. Xymol cleaner wax looks great initially but wears off quickly. Since she may just give lip-service to the idea of claying, a one-step and not a lsp may be in order.

I would recommend the Prestige III package from Autogeek. If I didn`t have a full container of all of this stuff already, it would be en route to my house.

reevis
04-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by blackntan

Zymol cleaner wax

I agree with this recommondation. It`s decent for a one step product (don`t expect miracles)...but it`s easy on...easy off...decent durability...and smells good to boot!

a.k.a. Patrick
04-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Id maybe go with some ColorX, good durability.....the only problem with Zymol is it sheds dry powder everywhere......not to mention it doesnt last very long.....

shaf
04-21-2004, 03:23 AM
I agree. Klasse really is geared towards enthusiasts unless you just want to use AIO without SG. AIO is pretty painless to use. I say either that or one of the other popular choices except for Nu Finish.

For the average car owner, and after a claying, you actually want a cleaner wax for them to use because it will help correct any marring they may have caused from the claying, and they`re very unlikely to polish their paint with separate products later on.

I`d use caution and warn these people though, that claying and waxing their swirled-up, slightly oxidized car isn`t going to make it look as good as yours though.... better safe than disillusioned IMHO.

spotter
04-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Appreciate the comments and suggestions. I decided to let her use some of my Poorboys EX. I find it easy to use....it is extremely easy to buff off, looks pretty good, and should be fairly durable for a garaged vehicle. It would definitely be better if I could get her to use the AIO first but the paint on this car is in pretty good shape and since it is silver it doesn`t show swirls very much.

I respectfully disagree with many of you regarding use of the Klasse twins. Obviously AIO is one of the easiest products there is to use. However, in my experience SG is just as easy to use as long as you do 2 simple things:

1. Apply very thin coat.

2. Buff each panel after applying (WOWO).

I have not applied SG to a black car but I have had no problems whatsoever on white, silver, gold, and dark grey.

Flame suit is now on!

BlueRanger
04-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Were not disagreeing with you, were just saying that SG might not be up to soccer moms level. I know in my pre-autopian days, i used to literally dump the wax on the hood and slop it around, (wasnt pretty). Me with sg back then....no way. Maybe if I recieved some proper instruction I could have worked....anyhow, the past is behind me, and I get to do the twins on a burban this weekend. O JOY! The intereior only took me 6 hours last week (damn kids, you find the most disgusting things in a "soccer mom" car...

Dinzdale40
04-21-2004, 04:39 PM
How about Clay>NXT....EX would also look good too......

shaf
04-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Yes, no flames or disagreements, just the fact that one thing that separates a "retail" product from an "enthusiast" product is how forgiving the product is. Most retail off the shelf products are designed to (or should ;)) be used by the average user who knows nothing about good detailing technique and doesn`t really care to learn how to apply thin coats and keep track of drying product. JMO.