PDA

View Full Version : Large Paint Chip

MTomlinson07
04-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Today I walk out to my truck after buying some groceries and start to unload the groceries when I notice a large chip/dent on the bed of my truck, the chip is about 1/2" round and it is dented in slightly. It is down to the bare metal and the paint around it seems as though it will chip off soon too!!! I have no idea what could have caused this chip because my truck is lifted and it is at the top of the bed. How should I fix this? Would touch up paint work, or is the spot too large? If I have to get it fixed at a body shop I am going have to wait till summer, because I am a broke college student with no job. Is there anything I can do to prevent the paint around the chip from flaking off if it does require body shop attention?

shaf
04-21-2004, 02:31 AM
I`d bet on either:

1) Micrometeor. Why not? ;)

2) Falling bullet from sky. Hey, this is Texas, right? :D (j/k)

I would get some primer (maybe some brush-on rust primer), prime it and try my hand at using touch up paint on it. If this was the body I wouldn`t attempt this because it probably won`t look too great, but this is the bed so it`s not as noticable.

Maybe try and get some PDR done on it first though (if they can).

MTomlinson07
04-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Funny you said falling bullet from the sky because now that I look at it it looks like it was shot by a BB gun! Thanks for the tips, I think im gonna try to do the brush on primer then touch up paint, tape off the area and wet sand it, so it won`t be too noticeable. I`ve never wetsanded before so this is going to be a learning experience.

Buick_guy
04-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Why don`t you quickly get a body panel from a scrap yard, then try your hand at it there? Thats what I"m doing in my garage now, I`ll post pictures of how it turned out, since it wasn`t pretty before I started.