PDA

View Full Version : neglected black gti needs help

secondslc
04-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Hello, i want to help my brother with his black gti. He keeps is real clean inside and out, the only thing is that he never waxes. The car is a 2000 and it has never seen a coat of wax. swirls and small scratches are every where. I want to clay bar, then go with 3m SMR, then some 3m IHG, with 2 coats of NXT to finish.I already have the above mentioned products and they do wonders for my black and red corrados, the problem is i never let the paint on my cars get nearly as bad. Do i need any other products? should i skip SMR and go with something like 3m rubbing compound? is there anything better that I can buy at stores? I am fairly good with a DA polisher, so i really want to take advantage of that. I love NXT so far, i did my parents car with it, clay and then 2 coats...I never knew topaz had such a shine. I will try to attach pics. but it may not work..im new to this...Thanks for all the help...

secondslc
04-19-2004, 09:57 AM
couple more pics...this is only nxt and clay, removed like 80% of the swirls it had

secondslc
04-19-2004, 09:59 AM
last one...i relly like the NXT!:xyxthumbs

secondslc
04-19-2004, 11:07 PM
no one knows?:(

paco
04-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Okay here goes.

Start with the SMR but have some more abrasive Perfect-It III products on hand since you like 3M. They work very well, come pretty easily and the abrasive break down pretty well.

I doubt very highly that the SMR will really do much. My experience with 3M SMR is that`s it`s mainly a filler.

The rest of the routine looks good.

paco
04-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah. Don`t go anywhere near a rubbing compound with a PC. You`ll dull the finish. 3M rubbing compound is very abrasive (i.e. Meguiar`s Diamond Cut territory). It`s meant to only be used with a Rotary.

Try the machine glaze from P-III and see how that works out.

Paco

schrader
04-20-2004, 12:14 PM
GOT TO LOOOVE THE CORRADOS!!!!!

secondslc
04-20-2004, 03:54 PM
i do love em!

secondslc
04-20-2004, 03:55 PM
when i first got this one...getting a respray, i dont know how im gonna keep it from swirling...any advice?

Bill D
04-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by paco

I doubt very highly that the SMR will really do much. My experience with 3M SMR is that`s it`s mainly a filler.

I totally agree, I see less and less reasons to keep my smr on my shelf :down In addition to the 3m and Megs, I have the 1z polishes, and even by hand in not much time, I`ve seen very good results :up

secondslc
04-20-2004, 04:11 PM
yes...but, is there anything i can use that i dont have to buy online...no credit card makes online ordering a little more difficult...i mean, if its the only way, ill go for it...but theres gotta be something off the shelf....please let there be

Bill D
04-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Sure, the Megs and 3m products should do well, I`m not sure, but they may take more time to produce the results you want, I`ve been reaching for the 1z mainly because of a lot of results in less time.

imported_ntwillie1
04-20-2004, 05:36 PM
how about #83 to get out some of those swirls. works well with a yellow cutting pad on your pc. then glaze and wax.