PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green on paint?

Simplistic
04-18-2004, 02:20 PM
I used some Simple Green Crystal (one capful into about 25oz.)

on some grease/sticky stuff on the side of my dad`s car. eventually rubbed off, but should I NOT have done this?

andriver
04-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I`m sure the paint will be ok as long as you don`t make a habit of it. Next time try claying the area.

Simplistic
04-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by andriver

I`m sure the paint will be ok as long as you don`t make a habit of it. Next time try claying the area. don`t have any clay :o but will clay really get off that sticky stuff? hmm. will go purchase some and try it out next time

jasonatv22
04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I`d use a bug and tar remover first.

I washed my wife`s car this weekend and had to remove bugs, lots of little strings of tarry stuff, which I did both with a bug and tar remover. I also used one of the tiny clabs of clay that I kept from my last claying to remove some purple paint that some purple carred jerk left on my wife`s car when the played door tag with it. Left a small dent, but removed the purple paint, which really stood out against the silver.

I don`t think you did any harm to the paint, unless you scrubbed at it with something that isn`t soft, but you sure don`t have any wax there anymore.

Simplistic
04-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Postwood

I`d use a bug and tar remover first.

I washed my wife`s car this weekend and had to remove bugs, lots of little strings of tarry stuff, which I did both with a bug and tar remover. I also used one of the tiny clabs of clay that I kept from my last claying to remove some purple paint that some purple carred jerk left on my wife`s car when the played door tag with it. Left a small dent, but removed the purple paint, which really stood out against the silver.

I don`t think you did any harm to the paint, unless you scrubbed at it with something that isn`t soft, but you sure don`t have any wax there anymore. ack. didn`t know why i didn`t think of the bug and tar remover. good call. i just went straight to the APC.

LouisanaJeeper
04-18-2004, 06:40 PM
the SG is fine for spot removal of grease/tar. Just have to rewax the area after use.