PDA

View Full Version : What to use to clean underside of car?

02 Sonic Blue
04-18-2004, 01:06 PM
I have access to a lift and have been wanting to clean the underside of my car. Over the winter while my car was stored and on jackstands i could fit under there, so i cleaned up most of the underside like the x pipe, and exhaust. what do you guys reccomend to clean everything up down there, like the metal of the car, i dont know what its called, the body? and anything else under there... thanks for you help

LouisanaJeeper
04-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I would use something like Orange Blast or Simple green in a spray bottle, work it in with a brush, then rinse off.

I use Klasse AIO/SG on the bottom of my rocker panels and the exhaust.

Is this for your Gt in the sig?

Recently, after I cleaned up my undercarriage, i was amazed at how skimpy the paint is under there, looks like its just primed. I took the time to under coat the GT with a bedliner product called herculiner which I applied with a brush. I like the way it turned out, but in retrospect, I would have left the areas that are used to weld aftermarket racing subframes un coated, and just painted with black rustoleum cause I will probably adding subframes in the future.

pics: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35112

02 Sonic Blue
04-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Yes this is going to be used on my mustang. Where can i get the Klasse products that you were talking about and, what are they`re full names, not just the abbreviated ones. Thanks for your help. Also when you undercoated your car, did you have it on a lift, or did you just squeeze underneith and do it like that? Thanks again.

LouisanaJeeper
04-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Klasse All In One, Klasse Sealant Glaze

http://autopia-carcare.com/polishing---waxing.html

I think it might be cheaper here: www.topoftheline.com

It would be much easier on a lift. I used jackstands since I dont have a lift. I had it pretty high on some of my 6 ton jackstands.

Bill D
04-18-2004, 07:24 PM
For the mufflers I polish with a metal polish like Mother Billet or Megs All Metal Polish using my PC set on 6 with a 4" wool pad. For the exhaust pipe, to polish you may want to try some steel wool with a metal polish, then follow with a metal polish and cloth. Finally I seal everything with some AIO and SG

jasonatv22
04-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Orange Blast full strength, scrubby brush, and most importantly EYE PROTECTION. I try to keep a pair of inexpensive safety glasses (Pyramex Aztecs) around.

I`m not fond of clutching my eye and screaming while below my car.

JimS
04-19-2004, 08:02 AM
I spray mine clean with a power washer. I`ve painted the undercarraige with a rubberized undercoating I got from Eastwood. Prior to a show I spray it all with the pressure washer and then with Stoners Trim Shine.

Richt
04-19-2004, 08:15 AM
I did mine on axle stads with soap, water and Autoglym engine bay cleaner and brushes and rags.

Hard work but worth it. I just wipe clean now after use.

http://uploader.co.uk/images/undercarrige.jpg

Spare wheel dropped down for better view