PDA

View Full Version : Is this how I should do it?

Buick_guy
04-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Ok, I read through the autopia guide and I learned alot. This is how I`m going to do it.

1st: Claybar the car with the Meguiars system.

2nd: Go over with a medium polish, since I don`t know which one I"m going to use yet.

3rd: Go over the polished surface with California Gold Sealer and Glaze.

4th: Put a final coat of California Gold Natural Formula Carnauba Wax, or this new Ultra Shine Turtle Wax, or Meguiars Gold class wax. I don`t know which one will give a better look, so please post your comments. I also am on a budget, and live in Canada, so ordering off the internet is out, since shipping is soo EXPENSIVE for a 15 year old kid.

Since I`m not comfortable with using a rubbing compound, I won`t be trying to remove the deeper scratches.

So to discuss these steps, I`d like to tell you how I`m planning on doing it. I will go over the car with the clay in back and forth motions, applying lots of lube.

Secondly, I`ll machine apply the medium polishing compound.

Third, I don`t know weather to apply the sealant and glaze with a machine, or by hand. Please post how I should.

Forth, I will machine apply the wax.

So does it sound like I`m doing this correctly?

Buick_guy
04-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Any help anyone?

dcswd
04-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Remember to knead the clay often.

California Gold Scratch Remover might work well for you. I dont know how abrasive this is though. I`m TOTALLY guessing here, but it might be similar to Meguiar`s Scratch X. Some one else might know. That might suit your needs. It wont be very strong though, but I`m not sure what your able to find locally. Hey! once you detail one persons car for money, and you havent found something you really like locally, you would have plenty of money for an online purchase! just a thought at least.

I`d probably do the California Gold Sealer and Glaze by hand, and then do the California Gold Natural Formula Carnauba Wax by hand. Thats just my opinion though. Either way would work.

JimS
04-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Sorry I don`t know much about the products you are using.

What I could say would be only repitition of what you`ve read in David`s book: wash to clean dirt off, clay to pick up stubborn contaminates, polish to get out marring, seal/wax to preserve the luster you`ve achieved from polishing.

I use the PC to apply polish but I apply sealant and waxes by hand. No special reason just that there`s no need to use the machine for the wax as all you`re doing is coating the shine so it will be somewhat preserved.

Good luck with it all. :)

shaf
04-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Personally I prefer folding clay rather than kneading it (which distributes the junk everywhere) but you can search on some claying techniques to make up your own mind on this.

What polish to use totally depends on what shape the paint is in to begin with. You don`t polish the paint more than necessary, so you only use a product as strong as you need it to be.

It sounds like you have a Canadian Tire type product selection to choose from? If that`s the case, just go to a larger store and see if they stock Meguiar`s #2 and #9, which should be enough unless your paint is in rough shape.

I would use the Mothers S&G and Natural Formula wax by hand, but you can use a machine if you like.