PDA

View Full Version : Tiefenpfleger streaking, need help

wifehatescar
04-17-2004, 10:19 PM
I tried Tiefenpfleger today on my lower winshield plastic trim. I used about 3-4 sprays total for the length of it and rubbed it in well. I noticed it dried almost instantly and would not buff to an even layer at all with a clean cloth. The directions said to apply more if it streaked, which I did, but it didn`t help, just streaked again. Did I apply it incorrectly?

fyi, I had washed the car prior to this and I shook the bottle before use.

Mike @ einszett
04-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Applying it incorrectly is probably not the reason for your issue. Since I`m not there physically I can only guess that possibly the trim simply needs time to absorb what you applied and wait a day or so and reapply. Possibly the trim is really dry and needs several applications. It should eventually even out.

Regards,

wifehatescar
04-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I`ll give that a try.

imported_garyo
04-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Did you reapply? Did the look even out? Curious minds want to know.

wifehatescar
04-29-2004, 11:07 AM
When I get out of Chihuahua MX this weekend (where I am right now) I`ll let you know :)

wifehatescar
05-02-2004, 09:53 AM
I gave it another try and used PB NL on another section of the trim to compare this time. Got pretty much the same streaking with the TF. It seems like the "wet (solvent?)" parts of it evaporate really quick and then leaves the glossy "dressing" part in differing quanities over the trim (streaky/blotchy). At some angles it looks ok, at others you can see the unevenness.

It does seem like it lasts a long time but for me a long lasting streak is not desireable. I would encorage others to at least try it, maybe you`ll have better luck.

imported_Macgirl
05-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Did you try wiping down the trim with alcohol? It almost looks like something was still on the trim to begin with. I`d scrub it with a brush using a diluted all-purpose cleaner, rinse well, wash and rinse again, dry then wipe thoroughly with alcohol. After that apply the Tiefen again and see what happens.

Good luck :)

wifehatescar
05-03-2004, 08:30 AM
I may try that.

*I* never used anything on that piece of trim and I doubt the previous owner ever did either.

Mike @ einszett
05-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by wifehatescar

It seems like the "wet (solvent?)" parts of it evaporate really quick and then leaves the glossy "dressing" part in differing

As the label clearly states on the front it is `Solvent-Free` so this is not an issue. A product can not be both petroleum based and water based at the same time... oil and water don`t mix.

As Macgirl states, there may be some prior application of another product before. Never assume that a prior owner never used anything before. If a solvent based product was used before it may be an issue. Otherwise, is this the only section of your car that you`ve had an issue with? How are other trim pieces? Rubber components?

Regards,

Corey Bit Spank
06-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Mike @Einszett

As the label clearly states on the front it is `Solvent-Free` so this is not an issue. A product can not be both petroleum based and water based at the same time... oil and water don`t mix.

As Macgirl states, there may be some prior application of another product before. Never assume that a prior owner never used anything before. If a solvent based product was used before it may be an issue. Otherwise, is this the only section of your car that you`ve had an issue with? How are other trim pieces? Rubber components?

Regards,

Water *is* a solvent.

I wonder how it turned out. :nixweiss

Mike @ einszett
06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

Water *is* a solvent.

I wonder how it turned out. :nixweiss

*Thank you* for that clarification.... however, when we speak of "solvents" around here we are usually speaking of petroleum distillates. So yes, even though water is technically a solvent, we don`t need to get too technical. Otherwise, we could also talk about how silicone-free products are not really free of silicones but but instead contain "paintable silicones".

*Thanks again* :xyxthumbs

Regards,

percynjpn
06-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Good comeback!!:up :cool:

Corey Bit Spank
06-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Mike @Einszett

*Thank you* for that clarification.... however, when we speak of "solvents" around here we are usually speaking of petroleum distillates. So yes, even though water is technically a solvent, we don`t need to get too technical. Otherwise, we could also talk about how silicone-free products are not really free of silicones but but instead contain "paintable silicones".

*Thanks again* :xyxthumbs

Regards,

;) Chemistry major. I had to do it. :wavey

Mike @ einszett
06-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

;) Chemistry major. I had to do it. :wavey

Curse you chem majors!!! :D