PDA

View Full Version : Is this suitable for a novice?

Jonny_venus
04-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I have been looking at various buffers and polishers, and would like your thoughts on this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=91743&ts=28556

I think its a rotary, the speed can be adjusted from 600rpm - 3000rpm, obviously I`ll be using it at 600rpm for some time, until I have more confidence, is this compatible with Meguiars pads?

Thanks for your comments/advice

PK

Webb
04-17-2004, 02:15 PM
I would get this instead (http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/pc7424.html)

I don`t have one yet,I`m debating if I should buy over Meguiars or here.

Meguiars comes with a "No questions asked" lifetime warranty.

Worth it for extra $75.00 :bounce

paco
04-17-2004, 02:18 PM
PK,

Running at 600 depending the products are using could cause damage as it won`t allow the product functioning properly.

Running to slow a RPM for a cutting compound can cause halos, dullness, swirls etc.

Running to high a RPM can cause burn through and break down of the product too quickly such that it doesn`t remove the swirls etc.

That`s a fine polisher. Not sure if the backing plate is compatible but I believe it`s compatible with the 8" pads and not the 6" ones.

Don`t run it only at 600 RPM are you`ll be disappointed.

paco
04-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Webb,

That`s a different type of machine.

A rotary and dual action serve different purposes.

Paco

imported_jgv
04-17-2004, 02:25 PM
PK1, that`s a Makita rotary, a fine machine. As long as you`re careful enough or find an old panel or hood to practice, it`ll serve you very well.

Jonny_venus
04-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,

Webb: I would like to buy a PC, however they are not available in the UK, I don’t want to import one, or use it with a transformer, need something that can run off 240 volts.

Paco: I will not be using any aggressive compounds or polishes at the moment, my paint work is in excellent condition, with a few light scratches, and very minor swirl marks, I think the most aggressive I’d need to go at this present time would be #83 (I thinks that’s the correct number for swirl remover)

Jgv: Don’t you worry, I will be picking up a hood (bonnet to me :) ) from a local scrap yard to develop my confidence, and get a feel for the machine.

Paco, so you think it will be compatible with the 8" pads, don’t want to buy it unless I know, as I seriously doubt I`ll use the pad supplied on anybody’s car.

Thanks for the help.

PK

paco
04-17-2004, 03:10 PM
PK: worse case you need to pick up a backing plate but a friend of mine has a makita (I think that is the one) and he has no issue using Meguiar`s pads.

Mike from Meguiars should be able to help out and confirm what is needed.