PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, looking for something that lasts

MattZ28
04-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi I`m Matt, this is my first post here. I have a 1996 Camaro Z28.

I currently use Zaino (I`ve had the whole show car kit since September). It holds up great here in Florida, but after the first wash, it stops beading water mostly. After a few weeks and washes, the water just starts to sheet on the car.

I`ve spoken to Sal Zaino on the phone several times, and he said the Florida water has a high lime content, and MIGHT be causing it. He also said my paint could be oxidized (minorly). So, I washed with Dawn dishwashing liquid, clayed the whole car, buffed it with 3M Swirl mark remover (#39009), and did 3 coats of Z5. Lasted a few weeks.....it`s supposed to last 6 months.

Is there any product out there that will actually last? I don`t mind polishing my car or whatever, I just hate putting a ton of effort into it for the purpose of it lasting and it doesn`t work.

I`ve used several waxes....so far nothing has held up like Zaino does, but even that, like I said, doesn`t last very long.

Thanks for reading my long post,

-Matt

Blk_Mach
04-16-2004, 07:54 PM
maybe klasse might work for you its acrylic

Jcrawford
04-16-2004, 07:57 PM
your best bet is to look at 1z. polish w/ 1z ultra polish followed by paint polish for the oxidation then top it with Glanz Wax. That`s the most durable topper i`ve found. Mine still beaded after almost 8 months. You can also use their perls shampoo to wash your car say every third wash to boost the protection. perls contains polymers which leave a protective layer after a wash.

MattZ28
04-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Can I use the 3M I have now (contains no waxes or additives - doesn`t leave anything on the paint), and then use the Glanz over it? I was looking at that stuff....I might order a bottle. The 3M I use now seems to work great at getting the swirls and stuff out.

BradE
04-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Did you put the Zaino over 3M SMR without rewashing or wiping the car down with alcohol? SMR DOES contain oils and fillers, which will prevent the Zaino from bonding properly.

MattZ28
04-16-2004, 08:25 PM
I have applied Zaino on more occasions than I can remember....yes, I have applied over the 3MSMR....Sal told me to do so, but I`ve only done that twice...all other times were on a freshly washed or freshly clayed car.

kustomsol
04-16-2004, 08:33 PM
What are you washing it with? I`ve been a "Zaino Zealot" for some time, and have never had that problem. I use Zaino Z-2 and Z-5 and/or a combination (depending on the car), both with ZFX. I last Zainoed my silver Lexus 3 or 4 months ago, have driven it to Cocoa Beach and back, and other than washing it with Zaino Carwash (Z-7)have not touched it, and it beads finely even now. I hope to detail the car again within the week since we`ve had several days of rain and it`s dirty, probably more from the grandkids riding in it.

MattZ28
04-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I wash with Z7 carwash and a 100% cotton wash mitt.

kustomsol
04-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Have you followed with Z-6?

MattZ28
04-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Yes.

kustomsol
04-17-2004, 06:24 AM
That`s weird!

JimS
04-17-2004, 08:20 AM
I have no idea what the conditions are in Florida but here in Illinois the Poorboys EX that I applied in Oct was still beading heavily in March and it was on an almost daily driver....average 5 days a week in the winter, every day the rest of the time.