PDA

View Full Version : Polish Splatter Removal

Robb
04-16-2004, 01:08 PM
After i had washed my car recently i pulled it in the garage and broke out the halogens. On the front fenders i saw what looked to be very small dots that where white in appearance. I came to the conclusion that these were from DACP that had splattered onto the fender when i was polishing my hood the week before. The spots are hardened and they can be `chipped` away using a fingernail, but there are hundreds of them. How can i go about removing them? I tried to clay over them to try and remove them, that did not work, i then tried several different polishes, i.e dacp, 9, scratch x with no success. What can i do to get rid of these? Thanks

2wheelsx2
04-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Try Goo-gone or some adhesive remover. That should do it. Or Rubbing alcohol. That would do it too.

Anthony O.
04-16-2004, 07:26 PM
In the future you may want to tape off and mask the car. This is a picture of an M5 I started detailing this afternoon and will hopefully finish on Monday. Hideous scratches and the trunk looked like a scratchin post for cats:shocked

Anyway, I spent about 45 minutes just taping off the Beemer as I was going to get pretty agressive with it and it was going to get messy......by the way, I first polished the windows with Hi-Temps Light Cut and left the residue on then masked over that. If any splatter gets on it it wipes off easily along with the residue from the polish:xyxthumbs

Anthony

Robb
04-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Sometimes i like to just polish one panel at a time, like the hood i was working on, the splatter was all over the top of the fender, how would i go about taping that off?

Anthony O.
04-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Rob,

Grab some newspaper and run tape along the edge where the hood edge meets the top of the fender and blanket the newspaper down the side of the fender so as to protect it from the splatter.

To help reduce splatter in the hood sills place the tape just slightly on the hood so it covers this area. This helps out a great deal.

Anthony

Slythetove
04-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Where do you guys get the tape?

Anthony O.
04-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Slythetove

Where do you guys get the tape?

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look or ask for "painters tape". Usually made by 3M and it is a "low adhesive" or "low tack" tape and usually "blue" in color. It comes in different widths and I buy several rolls at a time just to always have some handy.

Anthony

Slythetove
04-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look or ask for "painters tape". Usually made by 3M and it is a "low adhesive" or "low tack" tape and usually "blue" in color. It comes in different widths and I buy several rolls at a time just to always have some handy.

Anthony

I was hoping you`d say that. I`m headed there Wednesday night. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!

topnotchtouch
04-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Ditto the painters tape, saves far more time removing splatter than it takes to apply it. For removing DACP splatter though I usually get a foam applicator and some #9 and it takes it right off.

reevis
04-19-2004, 02:20 PM
You can get 3M painter`s tape at Costco...it comes bundled in a 3 or 4 roll pack...(can`t remember price). Oddly enough, it`s in the office supply section...

Preachers Sheets
04-19-2004, 02:30 PM
It`s blue and made by 3M, stands out like a sore thumb. Awesome stuff but the Cyclo has been very nice to me so far, no splattering.

imported_CBX Carl
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Walmart carries it as well.