PDA

View Full Version : First "all out" ext. cleaning on new car

Parmesan
04-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Weather is slated to be high 60`s and sunny this weekend, so I`m planning on the royal treatment for my brand new 2004 car. It`s been washed a few quick times using the Mr. Clean device but I can tell there`s gonna be a lot of claybarring to do from all the winter salt and such. Since it`s only a few months` old, the car has no visible scratches or swirl marks but I want to establish the best shine and protection since it`s the first "real " washing. FYI, my car is a platinum silver metallic color.

I`m excitied to goto the store an pickup the new NXT tech wax/QD/car wash and try em out. I was going to do the Zaino route, but I`ve heard such great reviews on NXT I will try it first. Here`s what I planned for the cleaning:

1. First wash of Dawn

2. Claybar w/ QD lubricant

3. Second wash using NXT wash

4. Some kind of protectant/paint cleaner or prep/glaze??? <-- this part I am not sure what to do!

5. one or two coats of NXT tech wax using my Turtle Wax random orbital machine :D

So step 4 is what I am unsure to use. I want something that will bring out the shine of the NXT wax and provide a good clean surface to wax on. Would something like Meguiars paint cleaner wax or one of their glazes help?? :confused:

And just a general question regarding Meguiars products - where can I find the most varied assortment of their stuff? I have stores all around like Advance Auto parts, Autozone, Pep boys, Walmart/Target, R&S Strauss, Mother`s car... Thanks so much. :)

Namirrem
04-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Parmesan, I had the same problem in my area, finding a distributor of Premium Meguiar`s products. I went to their website: www.meguiars.com and found a local dealer on their "dealer locator" page. I went to Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. to no avail. Hope this helps!

LouisanaJeeper
04-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Pep boys....its funny the one down the street just stock turtle wax, etc. the one on the other side of town (of course) stocks all of Meg`s professional line.

I would apply NXT by hand.

You may want to clay the hood, roof and trunk twice (clay all, rinse, clay hood, roof,trunk both sessions before the 2nd wash)

Mabey try Meg`s swirl mark remover 2.0 or 3M finecut rubbing compound for step 4 depending on the surface condition.

tom p.
04-16-2004, 12:24 PM
just as a side note, a lot of the guys are "down" on the Dawn wash. You could consider another product.

Good luck on your mission and thank God for better weather. This has been a painful winter season. :down

Parmesan
04-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Well, I got done yesterday using the following method:

1. Wash

2. Claybar w/ QD lubricant

3. Second wash

4. Meguiar`s #9

5. 1 coat of NXT (it got dark so I couldn`t do a 2nd coat)

I did everything by hand using foam applicator and MF to remove/buff, I didn`t bother to use the TW orbital buffer b/cit was TOO large (10" surface area!). What I did notice was the #9 really does a good job prepping the surface for wax but I felt that something should have gone in between that and the NXT.. Reason being is I did a test by rubbing my towel into the paint and it made that "squeaking" noise.. Mind you my car is only 5 months old and has no imperfections whatsoever.

Would you recommend anything on top of #9 before the NXT layers?? I want to get Zaino and try that, or even Klasse AIO/SG but I dunno if AIO is too strong for the relatively new paint? I mean next time I do a full detail the car will be "weathered" a little more. Thanks.