PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned the car and now it rained.. advice plz..

ariesu4urlife
04-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Washed the car and waxed it a couple of days ago. Well, then two days later, it rained. :mad: :( Anyways, now the car has this slight coat of dust/mud stuck to it. Its not very visible but the clean shiny look is gone just after two days. arrgghh!! Is there any way that I can remove this without washing the car all over again? I usually spend about 3 hours doing this and I cant afford too much time on the car every three days. Any products that I can use to wipe this off the paint?

Thanks in advance!

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2004, 12:08 PM
You could try a quick detailer but I dont even try to mess with that. Takes so long to get the swirls out the first time I dont even like to risk putting more in.

Another wash would be a very wise investment of time.

Slackmeister
04-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Unless you drove the car several hundred miles (or through a mud pit) since the last wash, I doubt that washing it now would take three hours. You may be able to do it in a hour or less.

topnotchtouch
04-15-2004, 12:17 PM
With two days of crud from the rain on your paint I think there is less chance of introducting swirls or scratches by washing than there is by quick detailing so I would definitely wash. I rarely quick detail my Mustang. I usually just use quick detailers for claying and spot removal like bugs and bird droppings when there is no way I can wash the car.

membim
04-15-2004, 01:11 PM
You could use Spray & Wipe from Poorboys.

uk-will
04-15-2004, 01:12 PM
I used megs QD on my metallic black audi after it had been outside for the night in the rain -- car was covered in fine dust that the rain had left. I could actually blow the top layer of the dust off, but the QD did the job admirably and left no swirls at all (which would have been easy to see on black!!). I was scared at first, so I chose a small area to try the QD on, and used my softest MF to take it off ;)

If you have been driving it about and it also has spots of mud on it then I wouldnt personally QD it - I would wash it.

cheers

will

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2004, 01:13 PM
3 hours to wash your car? Wow, I thought I was a slow poke.

joburnet
04-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Maybe try QEW, I`ve never tried it, it`s on order, but I`ve heard you can wash a car in about 15 min.

shaf
04-15-2004, 11:08 PM
My personal policy on dried dirt left behind from being wetted, is to wash. Either a conventional wash, or QEW.

I only use a duster and QD when the dust is basically just lying on the surface and can easily be removed. If it`s too much dirt though, I wash by default.

Jesstzn
04-15-2004, 11:29 PM
wash only option .. my full wash/dry including door/trunk edges wheels tires is only 40 minutes.

imported_eggroll
04-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Maybe you could rinse the vehicle off really well. As in no traces of mud/dirt visible. And spray a QD like S&W on the car while still wet, and dry it with a WW. I do this when my car is too dusty to QD, but not dirty enough to wash. The process probably takes about 20 mins.

A regular wash would take about an hour or less.

2wheelsx2
04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Being in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, we get rained on at least once a week. I wash all the vehicles once a week if I can. I find that if I do that, it`s about 45 minutes per car to wash, dry, polish glass, and treat tires and trim. If I don`t wash it for 3 or 4 weeks, the wash becomes a 2 or 3 hour job because the dirt is everywhere. If you just wash quickly more often, you can tackle one problem area per week, making your driving much more pleasurable, and your detailing less time consuming. At least that`s my take.

scottabir
04-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Washed the car and waxed it a couple of days ago. Well, then two days later, it rained.

Welcome to my life...if somebody else didnt have "rainmaker" in their signature it would be in mine :D EVERY TIME I wash the car it rains either that day or the next (or at least it seems).

;)

ariesu4urlife
04-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks you all for the good advice. I am at wits end sometimes with this rain/dust. And to add to the headache, its a black car. Yep. I say "DOH!" very frequently.

I think I might rinse it tomorrow and then try the QD to see if it works. Pisses me off that I take it for ONE drive and its all dusty afterwards. And the climate definitely isnt helping either.

Usually when I wash the car, I follow up with polish/wax etc by hand. Takes me a while. hence the 3 hours. Need to read more on summer care on here. :)

Thanks again!

imported_eggroll
04-16-2004, 07:00 PM
How often do you wash your car?

I don`t think you need to polish every time you wash. Just add wax on top.