PDA

View Full Version : Please help. My Audi Trunk is messed up.

dstn8r
04-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I`m having a big (in Autopian terms) problem with the trunk on my A6. I recently worked on a large woodworking project in my garage and had to park my Audi outside for several months. During that time it was mostly covered and rarely driven. There was frequent snow, rain, and freezing temperatures, so I often found that the car cover got stuck to the car. Recently I noticed that the back of the trunk and the door handle surrounds appear to be extremely scratched. No where else on the car is the paint looking like this. I`m trying to figure out what it could be. It`s like a fine spider-webbing running horizontally along the width of the trunk (same thing on the door handles). I took some pictures, but I may need more to fully show the damage. I have no idea if the weather could have caused it or what. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6688&papass=&sort=1

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6689&papass=&sort=1

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6690&papass=&sort=1

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
That darn phantom Audi issue!!!!

My buddy had a 1988 Audi 80 with the SAME exact thing but his car had over 250,000 miles and was never detailed. I was able to compound it out but it was really time consuming.

Did anyone ever clean the car off for you, wash the car or brush the dirt/dust off?

It can be buffed out but it`s a project.

dstn8r
04-15-2004, 02:21 PM
It`s been totally PC polished and meticulously cared for since I bought it two years ago. For the winter I used the Klasse Twins to protect it. It`s weird that it`s only the back of the trunk and the door handle surrounds. The handles look like they are probably plastic whereas the trunk is obviously metal. They both have the same horizontal scratches since being outside. The slope of the trunk back should have prevented the cover from even touching that area while covered. I have no clue what happened.

37buckeye
04-15-2004, 02:24 PM
It`s hard to judge from the pictures, but could this be marring in your SG layer(s)?

Have you tried to AIO the spots in question?

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I dont know how it was caused myself. The last pic brings back so many nightmares. The entire car was like that. I actually had to use a rotary and spend so much on each panel with a compound, it wasnt even worth the time considering the age and shape of the car but I wanted to fool with it to see for myself. It looks like someone took a shop broom of very fine metal and made one quick pass of the entire car.

So odd, I have never see any other car have that condition.

dstn8r
04-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I`ll get more pictures tonight. I`ve tried Scratch X with no long-lasting help. It seems to fill it temporarily. I`ll post pics to help show the problem better. Thanks.

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Scratch-X is very VERY mild.

Try a compound 2000 grit.

Bill D
04-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, Scratch X could barely do anything for a very minor scratch on my black A4. I`m hoping the 1z polishes could do the trick for you.

dstn8r
04-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Considering I have no idea how the scratches got there, I didn`t think they could be that deep. That`s why I tried scratch X first. I haven`t had time to get to my 3M Polishes yet. Here`s another pictures with a very poor "artist`s" rendition of the damage. The door handle damage is equal on all four doors.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6706

Jcrawford
04-16-2004, 08:34 AM
I think Autopians who own audis will eventually end up in a padded room with all these stories i keep hearing.

HEK
04-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I`m going to say that those scratches look like the ones I recieved while ( my wifey) took my car thru a stationary car wash....

I tried 3M`s Perfect it and worked 98%, next step is wet sanding...:rolleyes: