PDA

View Full Version : Autopian dilemma

Jcrawford
04-14-2004, 07:38 PM
the fruits of todays labor:

i was working today in direct sunlight ( yeah i know) anyway, you can see every flaw possible in the paint. i saw the "metallic effect" of little imperfections in the hood along with VERY minor spider swirls. so of course i grabbed the PC and proceeded to try to get it out. (i was over at sonnydaze1`s house and had him watching so he can back me up)

1Z Paint Polish w/ White pad...nothing

1Z Paint Polish w/ Yellow pad...nothing

1z Ultra Polish w/ yellow pad then 1z PP by hand (for marring)...nothing

1Z Ultra Polish w/ WOOL pad then 1z PP w/ white pad...NOTHING!!!

DACP w/ white pad... Still there

well by this time i`m like :angry about to throw my PC across the street.

Darren reached for his rotary, but we decided that would not be the best measure. At the sacrifice of my precious clearcoat i would have a perfect finish, but since it was a daily driver and most likely the marks would be back after a few washes, we decided that it was best to leave them.

Do i have a shiny truck...yes

major swirls are all gone

minor swirls along w/ that "metallic" effect still remain ONLY in sunlight/halogen lighting

I learned that on a daily driver, the autopian holy grail is achieveable, but not always the best way to go.

am i alone in my thinking or have you guys encountered similar situations????

oh yeah, btw... pics coming in a couple days, bc i`m not done yet.

Turbonator
04-14-2004, 09:26 PM
yep! boy`s not lying. seems no matter what we tried the buggers were still there. i could see Joel was just getting more and more frustrated, so i told him that it`s almost a losing battle on a daily driver. considering his situation of where in La. he lives, i felt his sanity was more important than attempting to reach the detailing holy grail. oh and yes, his truck looks great and by most people`s standards it looks awesome.

Bill D
04-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Uh oh,

This doesn`t sound too good for hard black Audi paint :scared

imported_NHBFAN
04-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by JCrawford

i saw the "metallic effect" of little imperfections in the hood along with VERY minor spider swirls. so of course i grabbed the PC and proceeded to try to get it out. (i was over at sonnydaze1`s house and had him watching so he can back me up)

Hi, JCrawford

I feel for you! I recently worked on a black daily driver, and even though I got a killer shine and made major improvements with my PC on minor swirls, I`ve come to the realization that a PC isn`t the answer for all paint imperfections. Here`s a pic of some of my partial results:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35924

I`m not even going to pretend I can extend some advice past what sonnydaze1 has offered, but try to find some solace in the fact that your vehicle is in the “eliteâ€!

Jcrawford
04-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

I`m not even going to pretend I can extend some advice past what sonnydaze1 has offered, but try to find some solace in the fact that your vehicle is in the “eliteâ€!

yep that`s the same advice that darren gave me. i learned a lot about the PC`s real abilities and why one would want to use a rotary in situations.

at least i do still roll down the street going bling bling :shocked :bow

Turbonator
04-16-2004, 07:44 PM
damn skippy! it don`t mean a thing if you ain`t got that BLING BLING!!!