PDA

View Full Version : Black Paint Detailing Question

METICULOUSMAN
04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi All, Im working on a Black 2000 Ford Explorer Limited under halogen lights inside. The paint is not metalic but the hood now has a metallic look to it. Its accually a favor for somone while im on vacation. I don`t have many of my products with me but I have the Griots polishes 1,2 & 3 and my PC. All of the spider webs and scratches are gone after #2 but im left with this now. Im wondering what this metallic looks is on the hood if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Sorry don`t have the camera with me or id post pics. Thanks in advance

Gadfly
04-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Sounds like, could be, maybe hazing from the abrasive polishes. Using a finer product might very well solve the "metalic" problem.

Jcrawford
04-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Sounds like you have the same problem i have...

this is what i did today.

I have a black truck... see here...http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32603

anyways, i was working today in direct sunlight (:shocked yeah i know) anyway, you can see every flaw possible in the paint. i saw the "metallic effect" that you saw along with VERY minor spider swirls. so of course i grabbed the PC and proceeded to try to get it out. (i was over at sonnydaze1`s house and had him watching so he can back me up)

1Z Paint Polish w/ White pad...nothing

1Z Paint Polish w/ Yellow pad...nothing

1z Ultra Polish w/ yellow pad then 1z PP by hand (for marring)...nothing

1Z Ultra Polish w/ WOOL pad then 1z PP w/ white pad...NOTHING!!!

DACP w/ white pad... Still there

well by this time i`m like :angry about to throw my PC across the street.

Darren reached for his rotary, but we decided that would not be the best measure. At the sacrifice of my precious clearcoat i would have a perfect finish, but since it was a daily driver and most likely the marks would be back after a few washes, we decided that it was best to leave them.

Do i have a shiny truck...yes (see the pic above)

I learned that on a daily driver, the autopian holy grail is achieveable, but not always the best way to go.

hope i helped.

METICULOUSMAN
04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys, I never worked on a truck or car this bad before. I think they used the SAND wash method of dirt removal. I used the Griots #2 then 2 X with #3 there finest polish using there orange pad. I did pull the truck out of the car port and I couldn`t see them (over cast day though) Im hoping they wont be noticed in the sun but I know thats asking too much. Nice vacation im on! I just wanted to see if it sounded like a clear coat problem as I have never seen this from any other cars ive done. Be Well All Nice truck by the way!!

imported_memnuts
04-14-2004, 08:19 PM
You might consider a coat of some sort of glaze to optically "hide" this daily driver`s hood problem. :nixweiss

As my avatar states, sometimes the ability to achieve a physically perfect finish is not reasonable. So there are tools that must be used to simulate this state of perfection.:cool: