PDA

View Full Version : Soft Water?

Rubber Ducky
04-14-2004, 05:35 AM
Seems to me that anyone with a choice between tap water and soft water would want to do all washing with the soft water.

Opinions/experience?

togwt
04-14-2004, 06:42 AM
It would seem like softened water would be a good choice, but (there`s always a but) water softener`s use salt in there process so the water will have a salt content, might not be good for cars if it gets into/stays in the seams etc

~Hope this helps~

smoky14
04-14-2004, 07:59 AM
I wash with soft but rinse with tap. The salt residule is not good.

Accumulator
04-14-2004, 09:18 AM
I use soft water to wash and rinse. My Jag is *VERY* susceptible to rust and other corrosion, and I haven`t had any problems on it or any of our other vehicles.

I do, however, use Potassium Chloride (instead of regular softener salt) in the softener and I run an especially long rinse cycle. I went over the "salt water/rust" concern with my plumbing contractor, and he allayed my fears.

But then, with *our* water quality, the soft water would be the lesser evil anyway :(

jfelbab
04-14-2004, 09:35 AM
There really is miniscule salt remaining in soft water unless your water softener is not working properly. The salt in the brine tank is used to clean the zeolite in the resin tank. The salt used is thoroughly flushed from the resin tank along with the calcium and magnesium ions during the regeneration leaving soduim ions attached to the zeolite.

See this. (http://home.howstuffworks.com/question99.htm)

Accumulator
04-14-2004, 09:45 AM
jfelbab- Good link, that`s basically how my contractor explained it.