PDA

View Full Version : Autopia`s Experts this one is for you

explorer
04-13-2004, 04:01 PM
OK, I really need advice on this......

It all started about 1 hour ago, I drove 45 minutes to pick up 3M perfect-it Machine Glaze:xyxthumbs Leaving the store I was a happy Autopian and than:wall :wall :grrr plus the F word about a dozen times.

Backing up my XL7 I never noticed this guide wire behind me and I put a deep scratch on the bumper, the scratch is about 1 foot long 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 inch deep.

My question is this can I fill this with some sort of glue:nixweiss

Please any advice is wellcome.

I do not want to replace the bumper, only on the last resort:bow :wavey

Dinzdale40
04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
if it`s just the paint you can get some touchup paint.....wetsand then polish it back out.....

explorer
04-13-2004, 04:24 PM
It is not just the paint (almost 1/8 inch deep)but do you think I could use multiple layers of paint and try to build it up until flush:nixweiss I`ll try any thing , keep them coming fellows I need a solution:wavey

Marc Hufnagel
04-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Not any kind of expert here, but the only thing I could see for something 1/2" wide and 1/8" deep would be maybe body filler, sanded down and repainted. I don`t think you can layer anything that thick.

that sucks :(

explorer
04-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Hellspawn,

thanks for your opinion , do you think a body filler would stick to plastic:nixweiss Forgive the question but I am not familiar with that product(never used it)

As I said before I`ll use anything all I want is to save this bumper:xyxthumbs :wavey

2wheelsx2
04-13-2004, 05:02 PM
You`ll probably need a plastic primer to get the filler to bond. You might want to check with a bodyshop to see what they say. This kind of thing is not that expensive to fix. Might be $300 or $400. Worth your while to look into.

Marc Hufnagel
04-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by explorer

Hellspawn,

thanks for your opinion , do you think a body filler would stick to plastic:nixweiss Forgive the question but I am not familiar with that product(never used it)

As I said before I`ll use anything all I want is to save this bumper:xyxthumbs :wavey

ooh plastic.. That I would not have the slightest idea. :( Just know that I don`t think you will be able to fill in with paint to make a pleasing fix.

ugh.

BumpersPlus2
04-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Instead of bondo, you need polyester glazing putty. Contact a local mobile bumper repair company, should be waaaayyyy cheaper than a body shop.

Dinzdale40
04-13-2004, 08:10 PM
my friend scraped his bumper and is using some bondo on there....it seems to be working.....so far....another couple layers of paint and it`ll be done.....

Accumulator
04-14-2004, 09:28 AM
As Bumpers Plus said, there are products out there that can fix this, although if your bumper is "textured" the fix won`t match perfectly (it`ll be smoother).

When I had the front bumper cover replaced on the WRX I had the front license plate holes filled it with this stuff. It`s been several years now, and it`s held up perfectly. No shrinkage, no problems at all.