PDA

View Full Version : NXT - Multiple coats?

Pages : [1] 2

NJones
04-13-2004, 01:38 PM
How long do I have to wait in between coats of NXT? I just clayed, applied ColorX, then NXT about an hour ago. Looks great, but no pics. This is on a pewter 01 Formula Firebird.:xyxthumbs

OKCstanger
04-13-2004, 01:44 PM
i believe its 12 hours in between coats. maybe someone will chime in and confirm it.

NJones
04-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I think you`re right. I saw that mentioned in one of the other forums.

jasonatv22
04-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by NJones

... but no pics. This is on a pewter 01 Formula Firebird.:xyxthumbs

You really should take pics of that. I`d love to see it.

Personally, I`d just throw another layer of NXT on each weekend. I wouldn`t go quicker than 3 days. After 3 days, you know all curing is done for nearly any product, or at least 99.X% is done.

NEW AGAIN
04-14-2004, 09:03 AM
30 Minutes between coats. The 2nd coat is just insurance for proper coverage of the product

NJones
04-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Postwood

You really should take pics of that. I`d love to see it.

Personally, I`d just throw another layer of NXT on each weekend. I wouldn`t go quicker than 3 days. After 3 days, you know all curing is done for nearly any product, or at least 99.X% is done.

As soon as I find my card reader, I`ll post some pics... :nixweiss Don`t know what happened to it.

I`ll be putting another coat on today, then one more Friday. So, that`ll be one coat of ColorX, then three coats of NXT.

togwt
04-14-2004, 02:46 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

NXT Tech Wax is formulated from a polymer, and therefore must be given sufficient time to adhere, (bond) 10-15 minuets is recommended before removing residue

As air is the primary catalyst (aerobic) for the acrylic to dry, low air temperatures and / or humidity may effect the time requirements.

After sufficient drying time, the finish will ‘dull’ (haze) slightly, do a quick swipe test with your finger. If no smearing or drag is evident, the residue is ready to be removed

Residues should be almost dry when you buff them. If the residues are still wet, you are using too much product.

Cross-linking; 12–24 hours are recommended before any other products are applied, this provides improved

durability and a deeper shine

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

NJones
04-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Well, it looks like I won`t be applying another coat until Friday... Fighting a stomach virus today. So, Friday, I`ll try to post some pics.

imported_The Uncle
04-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Question: If NXT does have cleaning ability (as I keep reading here) how is it even possible to layer this product? Want the initial layers be removed during the subsequent applications?

OKCstanger
04-14-2004, 08:48 PM
the second layer ensures that you have a consistant, even coat on the entire vehicle.

imported_The Uncle
04-15-2004, 01:06 PM
So, that is like using mutiple coats of AIO. You just want to do a complete job. If that is the case, then you are not really layering it, and the amount of time between coats should be meaningless (theoretically).

NJones
04-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Sorry, I didn`t realize that NXT had any cleaners in it. I thought you could layer it like Zaino...

imported_The Uncle
04-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Maybe you can. I`m only speculating. My only point it that a few posters here have found that NXT does have some significant clearning abilities, which would suggest it would be a difficult product to layer. Now,whether or not that is actually the case is an open question.

jasonatv22
04-15-2004, 08:47 PM
But can NXT remove itself once cured?

Someone needs to do a double layer marker on the dryer test! Marker/NXT/NXT

Mike_Phillips
04-15-2004, 10:16 PM
If you don`t mind, I`d like to chime in on this one,

You know, if you have ever used a product like #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 by hand, or even Meguiar’s Cleaner/Wax in the maroon bottle, you would know that both of these are incredibly gentle products when applied by hand. Much of their cleaning ability comes from the combination of the application material, and pressure used to apply them.

As non-aggressive as these two products are, Tech Wax isn`t even close to being as aggressive in it`s cleaning action as these two products are.

The chemist told me that when proper curing time is allowed for in-between coats, the Tech Wax will always leave more wax behind than it removes until you reach the point of diminishing returns. Remember, one thing Meguiar’s is famous for is their diminishing abrasives in their Compounds, Paint Cleaners, Cleaner/Polishes, so I hope nobody’s under the delusion that any cleaning ability the Tech Wax has is just as strong at the beginning of application as it is at end of application.

It’s just not that type of cleaner. I think it’s mostly a whole lot of to do about nothing. Layering is the same thing, it’s all hype. The surface of your car’s paint can only hold so much wax, after that you just start to remove the excess. If layering is possible, then the product better be as clear as water in the bottle or your layers will not increase darkness or optical clarity but diminish it.

Klasse SG is the only product I know of that will truly layer, but if you pour some out into a puddle and let it dry, it dries opaque, not clear, this would lead me to believe that the more coats you apply, the more opaque your finish will become.

Also, if you pour some into a small puddle on some cellophane food wrapper, (plastic wrap), and let it dry for a few days, it will dry to a flexible state somewhat like Elmer`s Glue. Try it? You can then peel this dried Klasse SG off and hold it in your hand.

Now think about it, if it does dry like this, it`s now wonder you have to apply very thin coats, if you were to apply a thick coat and let it fully dry, you wouldn`t be able to wipe it off, you would have to peel it off.

This owner of the below Corvette layered on multiple layers of Zaino onto his Corvette, but it not only didn’t protect his clear coat finish from mud puddle water,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2500_WaterEtchingSpotOrignalC2Raw.jpg

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WaterEtcingSpotOriginalC1RawCloseUpCropped.jpg

All the layers previously applied didn’t make his finish look as good as one coat of Tech Wax… (in direct sunlight no less…)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2AlexsCorvetteFinished1.jpg

While layering might be possible for some products, for most people, it isn`t the best thing for your finish.

The best thing to do is to try the product for yourself and let your eyes be the judge. I mean it`s great to beat a horse to death, but nothing beats hands-on experience.

Have to go, have to get ready for a photo shoot tomorrow. I`m going to demonstrate how to layer 2 thin coats of Tech Wax on a black Corvette tomorrow for Vette Magazine after first cleaning the paint with ScratchX.

I`ll tell you what the owner things and post some pictures.

Mike