PDA

View Full Version : Pledge anyone?

crc32
04-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Greetings Autopians!

First post.... have been lurking in the shadows for the past two years. Good to finally come out in the open.

Before I forget, I have learned so much here and am so appreciative of the shared knowledge and help you guys give each other. :bow

Now, as embarrassing as my first question is, I searched the forum and couldn`t find anything on it. Here it is. No. I can`t ask it. Oh well. Don`t laugh. - Will Pledge furniture polish harm the finish? :o

Why do I ask? I frequent a motorcycle forum and a few members there say its an old trick for quick detailing motorbikes. I already have several reasons why I wouldn`t use it, but wanted some opinions here so I could back up my reasons for avoiding it with facts.

Thanks again.

Boz

PS - Because of Autopia, I have about 45 bottles of product, a PC and a rack of microfibers, brushes, pads, etc.... AND products that I bought and found they were useless. Sound familiar?

andriver
04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Too oily for me.

Bill D
04-13-2004, 01:46 PM
http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/4953369-1.html

2wheelsx2
04-13-2004, 01:51 PM
I have some personal experience on this. A friend of mine used it for his yellow Ducati 748 (bike) all the time until one day he wanted the gas tank custom painted. The painter refused to do the work unless he paid extra for the prep work involved. Reason being that Prepsol wouldn`t even remove all of it, and any painting without 100% removal of the Pledge will result in horrible "fish eyes". This painter absolutely hated Pledge and tongue lashed anyone who used it on the automobiles or bikes.

imported_BretFraz
04-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Yup, mostly cheap silicone oil and fragrance. OK (I guess) on furniture but bad for painted surfaces.

An even older trick than Pledge is transmission fluid. Older than that is kerosene.

With so many quality quick detail sprays and spray waxes, I don`t see a reason to use a furniture polish on anything but furniture. S100 makes an excellent spray wax for bikes as do many other mfr`s. Gotta step into the 21st century sometime.......

jinxxycat
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
ACK! My husband uses kerosene on his truck---I just shake my head and keep my mouth shut. And it leaves his truck SMELLING so nice....I don`t get it. He got the habit from his father who got it from his father who got it from his father.........

I`ll stick to my CAR detailing products for my Z, thanks.

Kenji
04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
i Pledged my engine bay

:up