PDA

View Full Version : wolfgang sealant question

Pages : [1] 2

scottabir
04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Just curious if you have to use the wolfgang pre-wax cleaner before the sealant...kinda like AIO before SG? I haven`t seen anything to support this but maybe I missed it somwhere.

raymond_ho2002
04-13-2004, 12:27 PM
I don`t recall the instructions stating that it was mandatory.. I would guess that klasse AIO would be a suitable substitute, if you have it. I think the important thing is that the surface is clean; i`m not sure how it would do on an oily surface (i.e., right after using 3m smr or meg`s polishes).

former86camaro
04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
For the first time yes. Afterwards no...

thinksnow
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
I`ve never used a paint cleaner that left the paint quite as slick as the WG Pre-Cleaner. Perhaps the slickness adds to the application of the sealant? For me, if it ain`t broke...

Be sure to report back on AIO, though.

imported_Greg
04-13-2004, 05:05 PM
My personal opinion is no. You can use whatever you would like to prep it and then go straight to the sealant. AIO works just fine!

raymond_ho2002
04-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by thinksnow

Be sure to report back on AIO, though.

I did half a car trunk with AIO, and the other half with wolfgang polish, before sealing it all off with the wg sealant. it`s been about 4 weeks now, and at this point i cannot tell a difference between one side and the other in terms of shine, slickness after washing, and beading characteristics. The car is parked outside 24/7 in the san francisco area, where the car is constantly exposed to moisture and condensation from fog. I`ll make another post about this in a few weeks after i give the sealant a bit more time to deteriorate.

Scottwax
04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
The instructions that came with my WG evaluation kit say this about the Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer (the official name):

When you`ve completed polishing, your car`s surface will be clean and glass-smooth and positioned for bonding with the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

To me, that suggests that you should use it after your other polishing steps as a last step prior to the sealant. I would also think that the Sealant would also bond to AIO or Poorboy`s Pro Polish, but probably not to high oil glazes like VM or #7.

:nixweiss I could be wrong though.

scottabir
04-14-2004, 05:36 AM
thanks everyone, I`ll have to do a side by side of a glaze (menzerna or VM), and AIO. I`ll let you know how it comes out if I get up early enough before work.

Thanks again.

Scott

togwt
04-14-2004, 06:49 AM
One school of thought;

“Synergistic compatibility: My experience has shown me that you will get your best results if you stay within one company`s line of products throughout the entire process. The reason for this is that the chemists that develop these products make sure they are compatible throughout the entire process. Each step building upon the results achieved by the previous product and process†MPhillips

WAX2MUCH
04-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I have used the Menzerna Final polish and Menzerna Glaze followed by WG Sealant and it worked very well, IMHO.

Spilchy
04-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

One school of thought;

“Synergistic compatibility: My experience has shown me that you will get your best results if you stay within one company`s line of products throughout the entire process. The reason for this is that the chemists that develop these products make sure they are compatible throughout the entire process. Each step building upon the results achieved by the previous product and process†MPhillips

IMHO I disagree. You can use whatever products you want to achieve an excellent finish just as long as they are compatible. For example you wouldn`t put SG on top of #7, etc...

I have seen excellent reults posted here from people who mix and match brands.

I love to use VM with Meguiar`s products instead of working with their true glazes like #7 or even Hand Polish. Much easier to work with while achieving stellar results.

drrac2
04-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, why would you not put SG over #7? Is it because the #7 has a high oil content?

I had recently used #2 fine cut, and then followed up with #7. If I were going to use the Klasse twins, where would they fit into this routine?

Thanks

raymond_ho2002
04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by drrac2

Just out of curiosity, why would you not put SG over #7? Is it because the #7 has a high oil content?

I had recently used #2 fine cut, and then followed up with #7. If I were going to use the Klasse twins, where would they fit into this routine?

SG doesnt like oil. AIO would just remove #7 so applying #7 would be a wasted effort.

In your routine: skip #7, use AIO, followed by SG. you might want to follow #2 with a lighter polish first (like #9 or #82) to get rid of polishing haze before you aio/sg.

drrac2
04-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Thank you for the clarification.

As I have never used a sealant before I have some concerns.

For those of you familiar with Wolfgang and Klasse how do they compare on black cars? Are they equal, or do you recommend one over the other specifically for black?

Scottwax
04-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

One school of thought;

With all due respect to Mike Phillips, I have to disagree with him and agree with Spilchy.

I mix and match constantly. Meguiars, Menzerna, 1Z, Clearkote, Poorboys, Wolfgang, etc. To me, it is a huge plus when products are compatible with other lines.

Wolfgang`s polish is very light and if you have swirls or other paint imperfections you are going to need to use something stronger and Wolfgang does not have more aggressive paint cleaner. You would have no choice but to use something from another line.