PDA

View Full Version : cleaning interior question

Blue-Sun
04-13-2004, 07:43 AM
The MR2 that I just bought has a very grungy interior.

My hands feel like I was playing in grease after driving it.

I already attacked the steering wheel and shifter with a 10:1 solution of Simply Green and that did a world of difference, but I can still *feel* the dirt on my hands after driving. Plus some of the other interiot pieces are kinda nasty too.

What product should I use to actually clean the plastic? I`ve got 303 but that`s more a protectant than a cleaner.

Continue with the diluted Simply Green until it`s clean? Soap and water on a MF?

Any help is appreciated.

David

explorer
04-13-2004, 08:22 AM
You can try Woolite mixed with water at a ratio of 1 parts Woolite to 7 parts water, this is what ScottWax recommended to me and works great:xyxthumbs

scottabir
04-13-2004, 08:33 AM
1z cockpit premium works pretty good at cleaning, if you have it laying around. The woolite suggestion works great, you can cut it to different strengths as need be. Plexus works good for plastic pieces.

Blue-Sun
04-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by scottabir

1z cockpit premium works pretty good at cleaning, if you have it laying around. The woolite suggestion works great, you can cut it to different strengths as need be. Plexus works good for plastic pieces.

Where can I get 1Z Cockpit Premium at?

I don`t think we have any woolite at home,but I`ll check.

David

Spilchy
04-13-2004, 12:58 PM
You can buy the 1Z at the Autopia store!

But it sounds like you want something local.

Go to Pep Boys or Auto Zone and look for a plastic cleaner. I saw one made by Mothers the other day. Check the cleaning aisle of your local grocery store and see if you can find anything that is safe on plastic. Bed Bath & Beyond has some cleaning products too. I`m just thinking of different stores besides the internet you can check. This way you can have it in a snap.

I wouldn`t use Simple Green. It may cloud the plastic. To be honest, I have used dilluted non-ammonia windex in a pinch. Further, check some cleaner waxes - they maybe able to clean and protect plastic - like Vanilla Moose.

I have also used these ArmorAll products that you can get anywhere.

Option #1 (http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/pages/ultimateclean_2.23.html)

Option #2 - For glass, clear plastic or painted surfaces, dilute 1 oz. in one gallon of water. (http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/pages/multipurpose_2.10.html)

Also, you`ll be suprised but an MF with water when rubbed hard will clean plastic well.

After you clean it, you can top with 303.

Whatever you decide on, if it is NOT a dedicated plastic cleaner, test first in a small out of the way spot or ask us!

a.k.a. Patrick
04-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Ive had great luck with Castrol Super Clean, comes in a purple bottle.....Use dilution ratios....Its about the only APC ive used....

Blue-Sun
04-13-2004, 02:50 PM
I`ll have to swing by the local autoparts store that carries Meguiars "tan" bottles and some 3M products and see what they have. . .

david

Blue-Sun
04-13-2004, 07:50 PM
went and picked up some Armor All General Cleaner and some 3M plastic cleaner.

We`ll see how they work when I get home from school.

David

Jesstzn
04-13-2004, 08:11 PM
I just helped a fellow clean the interior plasic on his F350 .. he works on the oil rigs and there was mud/grease/grime everywhere. He worked on a dood for an hour with various things and I brought over my ScottWax Woolite mix and I did the other door in 5 min with a old terry towel and the mix. I left him to it .. a while later I found my Woolite sprayer .. a new bottle of Woolite and 12 beer by my shop door. And a thank you note saying it looked awesome and *didn`t* take 8 hours.