PDA

View Full Version : Is #2 Fine Cut Cleaner OK for Clear Coat?

Dave N
04-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Question for Mike et al.,

I`ve been using #2 Fine Cut Cleaner for a couple of seasons now, and it is my favorite swirl remover. I know the directions say to use only with a rotary, but I get great results using my PC and a CMA white polishing pad. I never have to follow up with a milder polish.

I was reading a post (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34885) a while back which said #2 is only meant for single stage paints. Is this correct? Should I stop using it on my clear coated truck?

Mike_Phillips
04-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi Dave N,

It`s true, the M-01, M-02 and M-04 were all designed to be used on single stage paints. They can be used on clear coats with a rotary, howver the newer 80`s series are a better choice.

As far as using the M-02 with a PC?

I always say,

"You don`t know what you can do until you try"

and,

"Find something you like and use it often"

If it`s working for you, then stick with it.

Mike

Dave N
04-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mike. One of the comments in the other thread had me a little worried...

Per your suggestion in another thread a while back, I tried some #80 Speed Glaze. I`ve used it on two vehicles, and have been really pleased with the results. Used with an orange power pad it cleans very well and gets rid of a majority of minor swirls in one pass. I haven`t done an alcohol wipe to see if it`s filling or polishing out the swirls, but either way it leaves an excellent shine. I topped it with a "brand X" (http://www.autogeek.net/plulpapr.html) sealant on my truck and this is my favorite combo right now.:xyxthumbs

luvthong
04-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Hi Dave N,

It`s true, the M-01, M-02 and M-04 were all designed to be used on single stage paints. They can be used on clear coats with a rotary, howver the newer 80`s series are a better choice.

As far as using the M-02 with a PC?

I always say,

"You don`t know what you can do until you try"

and,

"Find something you like and use it often"

If it`s working for you, then stick with it.

Mike

How do you know if your car is a single stage paint? And what`s a single stage paint? Is a 86 Civic a single stage paint?

Dave N
04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Single stage paint is simply paint without a clear coat. When you apply a cleaner wax (or a polish), single stage paint will come off on your applicator. If you have a clear coat, then your applicator will not get discolored. I had a 1995 black Nissan with single stage paint, and my wax applicator would be absolutely black after use. It`s really not hard to tell which you have :p

luvthong
05-03-2004, 04:55 PM
I just ried some #2 with a PC on my 86 Civic, no white color so Iguess it`s CCed. The result is not too good. I can see cloudy white thing on the paint, what`s a good one to try next? MPPC? Diamond Cute?

Mike_Phillips
05-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, that`s what I would be afraid of with the #2 Fine Cut Cleaner. It seems to work for some people on some paint, at least that`s what I have read, but for the most part its for use with a rotary buffer.

If I were you, I would get my hands on some #83 DACP and try that on the 4.5 to 5.5 setting on the PC with a W-8006 foam polishing pad.

You`re working on a 1986 Honda?

You think it has a clear coat? I would check that first because this was the decade of a lot of switching over to bc/cc systems.

When you rub some #2 in an inconspicuous area you are not pulling color? What color is the car? (In other words, if it`s clear coated, what color is the base coat under the clear coat?)

Mike