PDA

View Full Version : Read David Bynon`s Book and have a few questions

imported_Malachi
04-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Just finished reading David Bynon`s book. It is an excellent read. If one couples that with reading the Guru reports, one can make some very informed decisions on product purchases.

I have a few questions though.

1) David talks of the pH of products and what they are intended to clean. I have the cleaners to us on organic soils such as Simple Green and Orange Blast but, what are people using for non-organic and petroleum soils?

2) How does AIO compare to GEPC as a cleaner?

3) How does AIO compare to Auto glym Glass Polish?

4) Can one use Megs #10 & #17 with the 7336 on convertable window?

5) Other than 303 wiper treatment, is there anything else to clean wipers?

6) How does Mother`s Back to Black compare to Black Again?

edit 7) Does anyone know what brush David B is referring to as an attachment to the ROB?

Thank you Dave!

TIA

Accumulator
04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Malachi

I`ll tackle the easy one ;)

AIO cleans far better (for me, IMO, etc.) than the GEPC. I don`t even think of GEPC as a "cleaner" so much as a mild polish/glaze. AIO will really remove contaminants from a suface, from paint to metal, to exterior plastic trim, it cleans stuff off very well.

2wheelsx2
04-12-2004, 12:07 PM

I guess I`ll take Accumulator`s lead and answer this piece meal also.

AG glass polish leaves nothing but bright clean glass behind. It`s got some minor abrasives in it, but is mostly chemical cleaners. AIO has no abrasives. If the objective is to have perfect glass from really dirty glass, get the AG. For well maintained glass, you probably don`t need either. Also, try claying the glass before cleaing.

I don`t put anything on the wipers. All treatments seem to make them streak. I scrub the rubber really well to clean it, and call it good. If it`s really filthy, I`ll take a small amount of rubbing alcohol to clean it. Just be careful not to scrub too much with alcohol, or you`ll remove all of the graphite used to lubricate the blade, and you`ll get a lot of chatter against the winshield.

Lowejackson
04-12-2004, 12:08 PM

CMA tested the two products http://www.properautocare.com/autsuprespol.html

5) Other than 3030 wiper treatment, is there anything else to clean wipers?

Autoglym glass polish

togwt
04-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Quote: David talks of the pH of products and what they are intended to clean. I have the cleaners to us on organic soils such as Simple Green and Orange Blast but, what are people using for non-organic and petroleum soils?

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Ok I’ll field these questions.

Non-Organic stains- mostly found on the exterior of the vehicle, hard water scale (calcium) lime deposits,

Road tar, grease and oil film, and require an acidic type cleaner.

Use water/distilled white vinegar or an Isopropanol Alcohol solution, 5:1 (adjust ratio as required) or try equal parts distilled white vinegar, Isopropanol Alcohol and distilled water to dissolve the alkaline-based mineral water deposits.

Petroleum soils - substances that do not contain water, nor are they miscible, these soil types include, motor oils, and crease and road tar, and require a solvent type cleaner.(Use Stoners Tar Remover or Klasse AIO)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

imported_Malachi
04-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I`ll tackle the easy one ;)

AIO cleans far better (for me, IMO, etc.) than the GEPC. I don`t even think of GEPC as a "cleaner" so much as a mild polish/glaze. AIO will really remove contaminants from a suface, from paint to metal, to exterior plastic trim, it cleans stuff off very well.

Any idea why David B. would recommend using the GEPC prior to AIO?

togwt
04-12-2004, 03:02 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

It may be to provide a surface gloss from it`s polish content. I usually use it before I apply Zanio for that reason. But of course the best person to answer this question would be DavidB

Accumulator
04-12-2004, 03:19 PM

Any idea why David B. would recommend using the GEPC prior to AIO?

As TOGWT said, best to ask DavidB. My guess is that it`s because GEPC is just a little more abrasive than AIO (use a "to-milder" progression of products), and that because AIO is such a good cleanertht if you`re gonna use it, you should use it after all your other prep products to leave a "clean" finish (AIO will remove the fillers left by products like GEPC).

But this is all guesswork. Let`s see what DavidB says.

imported_Malachi
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
[~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Ok I’ll field these questions.

Non-Organic stains- mostly found on the exterior of the vehicle, hard water scale (calcium) lime deposits,

Road tar, grease and oil film, and require an acidic type cleaner.

Use water/distilled white vinegar or an Isopropanol Alcohol solution, 5:1 (adjust ratio as required) or try equal parts distilled white vinegar, Isopropanol Alcohol and distilled water to dissolve the alkaline-based mineral water deposits.

Petroleum soils - substances that do not contain water, nor are they miscible, these soil types include, motor oils, and crease and road tar, and require a solvent type cleaner.(Use Stoners Tar Remover or Klasse AIO)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything* [/B][/QUOTE]

Does the non-organic stains include etched in water spots on windows?

Thanks for the heads up on AIO, did not think of that!

Bobby G
04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
1) David talks of the pH of products and what they are intended to clean. I have the cleaners to us on organic soils such as Simple Green and Orange Blast but, what are people using for non-organic and petroleum soils?

1A. You have to use a solvent (like Stoner Xenit) or a detergent/surfactant cleaner on petrol soils. The surface you`re cleaning will dictate the correct cleaner. There are no silver bullets.

2A. GEPC has more mechanical cleaners than AIO and is better at rounding over the edges on micro marring to reduce swirls. AIO has more chemical cleaners than GEPC.

3A. AIO is not a glass polish. Autoglym Glass Polish is a fantastic glass cleaner and light polish. Also works great on chrome. I have recently started using it on heavily damaged plastic with excellent results.

A4. You`s have to use a 3" spot pad. It would work better with a direct drive and a 3" foam pad.

5A. This is the only specific treatment I`m aware of.

6A. Better left for Forrest to answer, but I believe it is the same formula.

7) Does anyone know what brush David B is referring to as an attachment to the ROB?

7A. You can attach a 4" or 5" brush with the correct mandrel to your PC to clean carpet and floor mats. CMA carries one they call Mr. Tuffy.

Bill D
04-16-2004, 10:48 AM
From reading this sounds like I can go over-kill for the fun of it and add a "next to next to last step": GEPC before AIO before SG :D

imported_Malachi
04-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

1A. You have to use a solvent (like Stoner Xenit) or a detergent/surfactant cleaner on petrol soils. The surface you`re cleaning will dictate the correct cleaner. There are no silver bullets.

2A. GEPC has more mechanical cleaners than AIO and is better at rounding over the edges on micro marring to reduce swirls. AIO has more chemical cleaners than GEPC.

3A. AIO is not a glass polish. Autoglym Glass Polish is a fantastic glass cleaner and light polish. Also works great on chrome. I have recently started using it on heavily damaged plastic with excellent results.

A4. You`s have to use a 3" spot pad. It would work better with a direct drive and a 3" foam pad.

5A. This is the only specific treatment I`m aware of.

6A. Better left for Forrest to answer, but I believe it is the same formula.

7) Does anyone know what brush David B is referring to as an attachment to the ROB?

7A. You can attach a 4" or 5" brush with the correct mandrel to your PC to clean carpet and floor mats. CMA carries one they call Mr. Tuffy.

Thank you David for your opinions!