PDA

View Full Version : Polished, micro-scratches remain!

mgates
04-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I just finished hand polish/wax on my wife`s `04 black accord. Was hoping to get rid of some fine micro-scratches on the hood (probably due to debris and terry towels during drying by a washing service she used to use).

I used 1Z PP by hand with a cotton terry applicator, wiping off with a fine terry mf. I did the hood 3 times in a row, applying moderately firm pressure and alternating direction each new pass (up-down, left-right). However, afterwards I could still see these scratches under the florescent lighting in the garage. They were less noticable in the sunlight, but still there. I decided to call it a day and apply the wax (meg #16) and deal with them later.

I did the fingernail test on the hood, and there are 2-3 scrathes that barely catch, but most are too shallow to feel at all. I would like to try to reduce them next time I polish/wax in a few months and would appreciate any tips you guys might have. Is there anything else I can try short of using a PC? Maybe a different applicator and/or using more pressure? Should I try a more aggresive polish?

Thanks in advance!

Mitch

Gonzo
04-12-2004, 10:16 AM
"Is there anything else I can try short of using a PC?"

Make an appointment with Scottwax?....... :D

Going more agressive with anything more that 1Z PP probably won`t help you much as the abrasives will need heat and pressure to break down - something you would be unlikely to achieve by hand alone.

Take the plunge and get a PC - it will save you a lot of sweat equity AND give you a fine finish at the same time.

Accumulator
04-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Maybe you could try a more aggressive polish, still working by hand. Though as Gonzo said, the PC is gonna be a good idea.

I`ve used 1Z`s Ultra Polish by hand. It breaks down OK, but it does leave some marring of its own. No biggie, the PP removes that just fine. Since the Accord isn`t known for extra-hard clear, if the UP won`t remove something, even by hand, I`d say maybe you oughta just live with it.

Scottwax
04-12-2004, 12:05 PM
I`ve had real good results using Meguiars DACP, or Clearkote`s Blue Moose (as of yet, still not available for sale) followed by DACP by hand but I wouldn`t suggest using polishes more aggressive without using a PC.

SamIam
04-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I had a similar issue with the 1Z Paint Polish with my PC at first, then I switched to a foam pad and worked the polish more, and Voila`, no more micromarring.

My suggestion, work it longer. Actually, if you are working my hand, I would work the Ultra, expecting the finish to look worse when I finished wiht the Ultra, then get the PP out and work it till it is about dry. That should work pretty well.