PDA

View Full Version : New car care products technology ? Hot off the press....

Pages : [1] 2

a.k.a. Patrick
04-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Did anyone see it ? Am I the only one ? While watching TV, i saw and add from Dupont. There currently marketing and making car care products ? And check this out, Dupont Teflon Wax......Doesnt this go against the Autopian grain ? We all thought Dupont stated that Teflon didnt have a place in car care, they said Teflon isnt even a recommended additive in wax or sealants, due to its chemical nature. We all understood it had to be applied at at least 600 degrees to be of anyuse.

I will add to this post as i find info.......

Theres no mention of it at their web site.....

Ok, i found some info, Tenneco is there partner in this....

"The new DuPont Car Care products have been developed to deliver a high level of performance in terms of cleaning ability and enhancing overall vehicle appearance, said Kullman. The formulations are water-based and avoid acids and caustic materials found in other automotive appearance products, she said. The line will include: DuPont Teflon Car Wash, DuPont Teflon Car Wax, DuPont Teflon Protectant, DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner, DuPont Teflon Spray Wax, DuPont Teflon Protectant Wipes and DuPont Teflon Tire Shine." Heres a link for all to view if your curious.....Heres a link for all to view if your curious..... (http://www.aftermarketbusiness.com/aftermarketbusiness/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=79272)

I dont know about the rest of you, but i for one am VERY VERY curious about these products !! I would love to sample some !

Heres a pic.... (http://www.dupont-carcare.com/)

Rlockyer
04-11-2004, 09:18 PM
I saw that commercial. Definitely marketed to the easy-on easy-off TW customer who doesn`t want to spend all weekend on their car.

Cute ad though.

imported_NHBFAN
04-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey, if it has Teflon in it I`m in:bigups

That stuff works great in my frying pan;)

imported_BretFraz
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
We`ve been talking about this new product line for about 2 months now. There have been several threads mentioning it.

My guess is DuPont isn`t too concerned with the "Autopia grain", either for or against. Their wheel and tire cleaner product is pretty good, though.

forrest@mothers
04-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Tenneco ( known in the industry for exhaust and ride control - shocks and struts to me and you) is actually the one marketing it. They simply licensed the DuPont and Teflon names. I`m not even sure who`s actually making it for them.

They got it on the shelf at the big retailers by throwing boat loads of money at the retailers for advertising and off-shelf placement.

imported_Larry A
04-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Isent it funny Dupont use to say that Teflon added to car wax did nothing, now they add it to their own wax.

togwt
04-12-2004, 02:48 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Or are they just using the Teflon name, assuming people will think it contains fluoropolymer resin (the non-stick polymer that needs 680oF to bond)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

a.k.a. Patrick
04-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Your right, it may just be brilliant marketing, but one would think if you grab a bottle of :DuPont Teflon Car Wash, DuPont Teflon Car Wax, DuPont Teflon Protectant, DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner, DuPont Teflon Spray Wax, DuPont Teflon Protectant Wipes and DuPont Teflon Tire Shine, you would assume it had Teflon in it ?

Iam still anxious to try it, usually Dupont puts out nothing but of great/hi quality, even if there not the manufacturer....Id really like to try it...

imported_memnuts
04-12-2004, 05:45 PM
There is a huge NASCAR fan base out there that migrate towards anything that their stars endorse, in this case Jeff Gordon (direct or indirectly).

Pure marketing and the American way. The names NASCAR, Dupont and Teflon carry mighty big sticks to the weekend carcare warrior who never heard of Wolfgang, Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, P21S, Souveran, UPP (5 Star), Clearkote, Poorboy`s, 1Z, DFTowels, Meg`s DACP, FD, #80, #81, #16 etc, etc. :D

thinksnow
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Two Words: Teflon Underpants.

Developed to avoid boxer build-up.

kiwi133
04-12-2004, 06:24 PM
As far as I am concerned, its probably true teflon won`t bond to things unless baked on.

However if you can find something (a carrier) that will hold teflon, and you can get that something to stick to a surface while still holding teflon, then it may enhance the non-stick properties of the coating. A side effect of better non-stick properties might also be longer life, only because not as many contaminants would be presant to attack the surface.

Thats my theory.

I also I feel the general feeling associated with teflon is comparable to carbon fiber or titanium.

They`re magical ;)

Each of these magical materials has amazing properties when used in the proper fashon, but they arn`t universal. Some applications won`t see any advantages.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-12-2004, 06:51 PM
But do you really think that Dupont would affiliate with Tenneco, if its all a bunch of hype, and not factual ?

The names NASCAR, Dupont and Teflon carry mighty big sticks to the weekend carcare warrior who never heard of Wolfgang, Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, P21S, Souveran, UPP (5 Star), Clearkote, Poorboy`s, 1Z, DFTowels, Meg`s DACP, FD, #80, #81, #16 To name a few Edwin, or is there more ??!!

imported_Larry A
04-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Doesent sombody make a bathroom cleaner for fictures that contains teflon , to make the next cleaning easier. Sombody must of found a way to make teflon work.

imported_memnuts
04-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

But do you really think that Dupont would affiliate with Tenneco, if its all a bunch of hype, and not factual ?

Yes! Example: Ed McMahon and Publisher`s Clearhouse Sweepstakes. :rolleyes:

To name a few Edwin, or is there more ??!!

Patrick I got tired of typing. ;)

Actually I believe Teflon does have a function in wax formulations but not the perceived notion of added protection. It is used for ease of application. A spreading additive and carrier. Nevertheless, the general perception of Teflon is a slick, durable and hard substance. Very good items to be associated with a finish protectant.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Well even ease of application is a bonus, I cant imagine it much easier than BF, WG, or Platinum.....Edwin you always have a way of putting things in a clearer perspective......