PDA

View Full Version : Non-metallic black BMW paint????

BillNorth
04-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey guys.

My cousin has a 1999 BMW 328i with black non-metallic paint. He wants me to do a complete detail for him as the car has been neglected and damaged over the last few years. He`s taken it thru soft cloth automatic car washes during the winter, so it does have some bad swirls. It also has the holographic swirls from rotary misuse (the dealer did it).

Anyway, my plan of attack is:

1. wash with mothers

2. clay with mothers

3. swirl removal with PC, 3M FI2 and megs burgundy cutting pad

4. FI2 haze removal using PC, AIO and megs yellow polishing pad

5. SG using WOO (of course :D)

or

5. The WG twins.

My questions for you are:

1. IS BMW black non-matallic paint clear coated?

2. Do any of you who have worked on BMW black non-matallic paint have any tips that may be useful?

3. What do you think of my plan of attack?

This is my first black car, and I`d like it to come out looking great.

Thanks. :bow

imported_Greg
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I think I know something about BMW flat black 3-series. I think I have done over 20 of these in the last 2 years and I own one. Anyway, some are CC, others are not. Mine isn`t, the one I did last week was. I am pretty sure 98 is going to be CC. Its a real easy color to make look good, as long as you remove the marring that is so easy to spot with the flat black. Polishing looks good, the Menzerna twins make the flat black look incredible too. There really isn`t anything different I would do, just take your time, relax, and enjoy and take pics.

BillNorth
04-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Greg, thanks for the reply. The car I`m working on is an e46. I`m surprised at the inconsistency in clear coat vs. no clear coat. I also hope i can substitute FI2 and AIO for the menzera twins and still achieve the same results as you have described.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill. :up

imported_Greg
04-12-2004, 10:47 AM
E46 is def. going to have a CC. I think 92-95`s didn`t have the CC. It really depends on the condition, but I would expect IP with a cutting pad, then FP or just skip FP and go to AIO then SG would look mighty fine!

Scottwax
04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
The paint on BMWs is somewhat soft (which is why they seem to scratch pretty easily), so try the least aggressive solution first. You may be suprised at how easy it can be to work paint problems out of BMW clearcoats (at least the 90`s models, newer ones are a bit harder).

On black, I`d probably finish with Wolfgang instead of Klasse. Personal preferrence.

imported_Intermezzo
04-12-2004, 01:36 PM
BillNorth,

FI-II followed by AIO is what I`ve used on my own jet black (non-metallic) 2001 e46 a few times with great success. AIO should have no problem at all removing the haze (if any) from FI-II. I haven`t used WG yet on this car, so I can`t give you any recommendations on which sealant to use. But after the FI-II/AIO treatment, I`m sure anything would look great.

BillNorth
04-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the reply. Right now my arsenal of polishes consists of 3M Finesse it 2 and 3M SMR for light and dark colours. I`ve never had much luck with the SMR when it comes to swirl removal, that`s why I`m going with the FI2. I have used FI2 on my own 1997 green bimmer with success. And you`re right, now that I think back, the paint was much softer than on my Fathers Y2K domestic car.

I probably will go with WG as well. Thanks for the advice!

Bill.

BillNorth
04-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

BillNorth,

FI-II followed by AIO is what I`ve used on my own jet black (non-metallic) 2001 e46 a few times with great success. AIO should have no problem at all removing the haze (if any) from FI-II. I haven`t used WG yet on this car, so I can`t give you any recommendations on which sealant to use. But after the FI-II/AIO treatment, I`m sure anything would look great.

Tony,

Thanks for chiming in! It`s good to hear from someone who has used the exact same combo on the exact same colour/car that I`m planning to do. My only concern is that the FI2 will leave a more noticeable haze on the black. But from what you`ve said, it seems that it won`t.

Thanks again!

Bill.

SP 325i
04-14-2004, 08:48 AM
What makes people think that solid colours are clear coated ? Why do they need to be clear coated ?

What do your paint codes say ?

Modern solid colours do not need an extra clearcoat !!!! Clearcoat is basically exactly the same but without pigment. Cars are painted with the minimum of costs, why do car companies want the extra cost of a clearcoat when it is not needed ??

Please let me know where the information comes from ? Seeing car colour on a polishing rag should not happen with modern paints they are designed to resist aggressive solvent rubs. If you see this then the car has been repainted (badly) or the car is old (old paint technology), or you have eaten 3 shreaded wheat!!

Steve

Lowejackson
04-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Steve

Welcome back :)

SP 325i
04-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks,

Not had much car cleaning time, my son is taking up every spare minute.

I have now officially given up talking about car paint systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way read through the UK sticky, great effort

steve

BillNorth
04-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Steve,

If solid colours are not clear coated, then why are metallic colours clear coated? What makes them so special that they get a clear coat? Or do they?

Secondly, if I were to polish a non-cleared paint, are you saying that I should not see any colour on my rag/bonnet? How is this possible?

Bill.

Scottwax
04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SP 325i

What makes people think that solid colours are clear coated ? Why do they need to be clear coated ?

With very few exceptions (Lexus black and Honda white...at least through 2002) solid colors are factory clearcoated.

Modern solid colours do not need an extra clearcoat !!!! Clearcoat is basically exactly the same but without pigment. Cars are painted with the minimum of costs, why do car companies want the extra cost of a clearcoat when it is not needed ??

Why? Because car companies do not want joe six pack who never waxes his car showing up the dealer demanding a repaint after 2-3 years because the paint is oxidized. It is cheaper to use a 2 stage paint job to prevent warranty repaints. In addition, if a young person buys a used model from that company, he is more likely to eventually buy a new one if the paint holds up.

Please let me know where the information comes from ? Seeing car colour on a polishing rag should not happen with modern paints they are designed to resist aggressive solvent rubs. If you see this then the car has been repainted (badly) or the car is old (old paint technology), or you have eaten 3 shreaded wheat!!

I guarantee if you use a polish on a brand new single stage black Lexus you will get some color transfer. Straight wax, probably not.

SP 325i
04-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Metallics and pearlescent finishes need clearcoat because the particle size of the aluminium flake / mica particle is larger than the amount of paint put ono the car. This not only gives a matt rough finish but exposes, esp aluminium, to the atmosphere where it becomes oxidsed and turns black. Acid rain is one of the main culprits.

Scottwax,

I concede every point

Steve